Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2014, 02:14 PM
    He will never stop being your child, and you will always want things to go well for him, but you do need to allow him to find his own way, even if that sometimes means finding out the hard way. Right now, he is getting an idea of the consequences some of his choices can bring, and that is a good thing.

He is living with a friend, so not on the street. Odds are, this friend will ask for some help with rent, electric, something, and your son will gain another lesson. He apparently managed while living and working abroad, so he can do so here.

Perhaps he is angry at his own choices, and wishes he had made different ones sooner. His frustration on not being in a better position at his age possibly is causing him to be angry with everyone else as well.

Remind him that you love and care about him, and that you know he can take care of himself (as he has shown living abroad). He now knows what needs to change to be back in your home. Let him be stubborn about it and give it some thought for awhile. Chances are, as he sorts himself out with work and goals, he will sort himself out with his behavior as well.
    Peedles Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2014, 03:44 AM
    Why cN I not continue this thread?

Oh it's OK now I have got up this morning felling weak and I'll again you all gave me so much strength yesterday . I am tempted to email him to tell him the door us always open when he is ready to talk to me and my husband is this me just cracking?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 03:44 AM
    You are continuing it.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2014, 04:35 AM
    My thought... If sending him an email telling him that you love him dearly, that you have faith in his ability to set goals and follow through, and that your home is welcome to him when he has given some thought to his part in situation, than fine, but then let it go at that.

It will give you a bit of closure on the matter and then leave it up to him from then on. He'll know that he is not cut off, but that he needs to show some responsibility.

Just be matter of fact, short and to the point. You and your husband have no doubt helped him out over the years, recently allowed him a place to stay for several months, and his rudeness and disrespect are not welcome. He is an adult, and you would expect him to demonstrate respectful behavior, especially when you have been helping him out.

Nov 12, 2014, 04:40 AM
    Thanks for your response anyone else got any thoughts in this just frightened of making a mistake by doing this but yes do feel it might help me to just send it to him

Nov 12, 2014, 05:50 AM
    Sorry not sure what you mean by say continuing it? Sorry could you expand on that please ?

Nov 12, 2014, 06:09 AM
    Did you mean continuing the mothering? You nay be right but feel it might just help me to be stronger knowing that I have told him I live him and when he is ready to change and come and speak to me and my husband together about things the door is open? What do you think?

Nov 12, 2014, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You are continuing it.
    Would you come back to me with your expanded thoughts please
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 08:14 AM
    Please understand that we are all volunteers here. We take time out of our busy days/nights to answer questions without compensation.

Now, with that said... I don't have an issue with you sending your son an email, you just don't want it to be sappy and apologetic. Your son has been taking advantage of you for way too long and it's time to get a backbone and stand up for yourself.

He has been mooching off of you, and has been disrespectful, for far too long. He is almost 30 years old for crying out loud.

For reference, I am a mother of two sons about your son's age. I feel for you, I really do. However, you can't let him to continue to walk all over you. He lived abroad for a while so he knows what it is like to be on his own, however, it is easier to live off someone he knows he can take advantage of. Rather than feeling sorry for yourself, you should be pi$$ed off that he put you in this position. He is manipulating you and he knows it.

Where I am from, the deep south of the U.S. you respect your mother, you don't take advantage of her.

the door us always open when he is ready to talk to me and my husband
    Better yet, you tell him the door is always open when he is ready to follow the rules that you and your husband set aside. If he is not willing to follow those rules, he is not welcome.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 08:35 AM
    You have to take some perspective on this, because you can't see the benefit of what your husband is doing.

We aren't talking about a 16 year old who needs tough love here. We're talking about a perfectly capable man, who makes his own decisions, because he is a man now.

What you are actually doing is enabling bad behavior, and not only that, you are, by your own actions (wanting him back in the family home) preventing him from growing up, and being held accountable, because he is an adult. What lesson are you teaching him, by allowing his bad behavior to continue.

He needs to grow up, and you are not letting him.

Your husband is very, very right to do what he did. He could have called the police and had your son charged, but instead booted his sorry butt out, and quite without any trouble at all, your son was able to find another place to live.

If you don't let him grow up now, while he still has a chance to turn his life around because he is young, when are you going to allow him to grow up?

Nov 13, 2014, 01:08 AM
    Thanks so much for your help I just need to keep getting confirmation that what I am doing is right. I find it very hard so I think will have to keep coming back for help with this.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 15, 2014, 09:11 AM
    Why keep feeding your own fear and worry about your grown child who may be muddling along finding his own path (like we all did). Your kids are grown, let them keep growing, and you grow out of that fear by building a great life around what YOU enjoy, not around the constant worry about them.

It's a helluva transition from a parent/child relationship,to a more balanced healthy one between adult parents and ADULT kids, and it never happens if you both cannot grow and have MUTUAL respect, and love.

Geez mom, you can't even love and enjoy them as adults, until you accept them as adults and let them be adults, making their own mistakes and finding their own solutions, and wiping their own booboo's. It also seems you need to remove that wedge between you and your husband, so you can enjoy all the fruits of your own labor, so let go of your fear and worry and get a life.

Not to be harsh or judgemental, but problems with other adults are best resolved by leaving them alone to do their own thing their way, so give your son at least that much respect. Hard as it is for you, he is probably enjoying his independence and freedom and your fears and worry are for nothing. He will be okay, and you have never been able to control him anyway. Why do you think you can NOW?

Be grateful you have adult kids, but enjoy your partner to the max, as it would be a darn shame to ruin THAT relationship trying to hold onto kids that are GONE from the nest.

Nov 16, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Thanks for that I was feeling bad this morning and it's given me a kick up the bottom . I have left him to it and not been in touch but it's a massive transition for me and I find it very hard.
    Expert

Nov 16, 2014, 06:30 AM
    It is a tough transition for most of us trust me, but it's a rewarding process if you do good things for yourself and your husband, and if I read right, you have a good relationship with your other kids, so you have plenty of other good things to focus on while this works itself out.

Its quite a challenge though. Easier if you focus on the good and not feed the fear, and I can safely say that kids will drive you NUTS forever.

Nov 17, 2014, 02:41 AM
    But I am doing the right thing stepping away right ? I don't in all honesty think I have any other option as I have tried everything else xxx
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 05:25 AM
    You are doing the right thing, and like I stated before, you have to intiate 'tough love'. Keep your spirit up and believe in yourself.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 07:38 AM
    Yes, you are doing the right thing. It's time to cut the umbilical cord and let him stand on his own two feet.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 07:53 AM
    Backing off is absolutely the right thing and you will feel better when you focus on the good things you CAN control.

Nov 19, 2014, 02:04 AM
    I am having a real wobble this morning feel like I'm a bad mum please help with some more encouragement I am crying while writing this
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 03:07 AM
    Get a grip on yourself. I can see where the problem is really and how he tied you around his finger for so long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

21 year old daughter problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a beautiful, smart daughter. She lives as home, going to school (working on her associates degree). Doesn't work, pay any bills and has recently been dumped by her boyfriend of a year and a half. She stays out all night every night, comes home and sleeps during the day. She tells us to let...

Seven year relationship having problems [ 10 Answers ]

All right. I've been with my girlfriend for 7 years now. 5 years we lived in our parents houses and 2 years we lived together. I'm 28 and she is 25. We love each other and I don't think she ever cheated on me. From time we met she just started to going to college and I started a good union job. ...

Problems with 6 year old dauchand [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if back problems in dauchands can cure themselves with time and meds? My 6 year old long-haired-male, has lost all movements in his back legs, and also bladder control. Is there any hope for recovery with out paying the 3 to 4 thousand dollars for surgery? He is him-self if it...

Problems getting 14 year old out of bed! [ 18 Answers ]

My daughter is 14 and I struggle every morning of the week getting her out of bed for school. I have made her go to bed earlier to no avail. Have made her set alarm clock and if she does not get up on her own I wait until she does and she is tardy for school still doesn't help. I am ready to...

3 year old fridge having problems [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a Frigidaire top freezer three years ago. The past couple of days I have noticed that the temperature has not been cool. Stuck the thermometer in there, it read between 50-60 degrees today. Looked all over the internet and in Do-it yourself books on what the problem could be. I...

View more questions Search