Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    churley3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2014, 08:01 AM
    Revolution ear ointment given as a preventive for ear mites in guinea pigs
    Hi I took my Guinea pig which I bouight from Petco... big mistake because at the time I did not know that there are so many rescue shelters that have guinea pigs who need homes... so anyway I had the guinea pig for less than than 2 weeks and I had him in my lap and started to look at his ears just to make sure that they looked clean. They didn't, in fact , they looked pretty dirty to me, although I have never looked in a guinea pigs ears before. So I called Petco and they took him to the vet . I was told by the Petco associate who took the guine pig in that the vet did a mircoscopic test and did not see anything such as mites, bacterial infection... etc . However the associte told me that the vet did give the guinea pig a one time ointment application called revolution just in case the guine pig did in fact have ear mites... I also had purchased a baby guinea pig the day before this event of noticing the dirty ears in my guinea pig. So thery were only togther in the same cage for litewrally 10 hours. So here is my question / problem : If my Guinea pig tested negative for ear mites but the vet gave him a preventive dose than do I still have to separate the baby guuinea pig from the other one ? I would think not because the test was neagtive, But I don't know! Im very confused! Does anyone have any info or knowledge about this?

Check out some similar questions!

How to apply revolution on guinea pigs [ 6 Answers ]

I think my piggy has mites because she has been scratching and has crusty stuff on her lower and behind area. I read that revolution is recommended for the treatment on guinea pigs. I have read to use the puppy/kitten dosage. My guinea pig weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. Is it OK to apply the whole dose. One...

Mom and baby guinea pigs have mites, please help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have six guinea pigs, mom, dad, and four babies who are 8 days old. We noticed on the male who has been separated from the mother and babies since half way through the pregnancy he had hair loss and sores, so we took him and the other 5 to the vets. She prescibed ivermectin, 450mcg every two...

Guinea Pigs and Mites [ 6 Answers ]

I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online,...

Lice/Mites in Guinea Pigs [ 1 Answers ]

I know that Ivermectin can be used topically on guinea pigs for lice & mites. Is, I have Ivermectin 1% for Cattle/Swine (I use it on goats). Is this also safe for guinea pigs, topically behind ears and on rump? Thanks for your help!

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.