Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bluesky Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2014, 04:24 PM
    Contacting tenants
    I lease a house in BC by real estate Property Manager.
    I want to offer house to sell to tenants. However I do not have tehir contacs, except the nmes and physical address. Do I have to contact them through Property Manager, or I can do it by myself?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2014, 06:56 PM
    Your question is unclear.

You are currently leasing a house ?
    But you want to sell the house?

Are you the property manager ?

I am sorry, please be more clear, as to what is happening, Your question sounds like you want to sell a house. You do not own.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2014, 07:03 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck. You are leasing a house... that means you do not own it. If you do not own it you can not sell it. You can not sell it until you buy it from the current owner. The current owner may not WANT to sell it to you. We need more information written an a clear and conciese manner we can understand.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2014, 08:00 PM
    Maybe I read this wrong but it appears to me that he owns the house, has it leased and managed through the PM but wants to sell it to the tenants. If you live in BC, stop by and talk to them. You know their names and address, send them a letter.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2014, 08:15 PM
    ma0641, you might be right. Going back and reading it from that perspective... it makes sense.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2014, 02:22 AM
    OK, I re-read the question with that idea in mind. Question just asked a little confusing.

This will depend on your lease, and your contract with the real estate company. Most leasing management companies do not have a sell clause in the contract but you need to read the contract you have with the real estate company and find out.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 7, 2014, 03:46 AM
    There is no reason why you can't contact them yourself. I have never heard of a management contract that prevents this.
    I would send a letter.
    The chances that they will want to buy PLUS can afford to buy are low (unless you are offering to write a mortgage, which you should never do without help from a lawyer).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2014, 07:09 AM
    I took it mean the OP owns the house and wants to sell to the current leaseholders. What I don't understand is how he cannot have their address? Don't they live in the house? I'm also unclear as to whether this is a single tenant or not.
    current pert

Nov 7, 2014, 07:26 AM
    He DOES have their name and address. Goodness, so much confusion.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 7, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv
    Goodness, so much confusion
    Indeed.

Part of the problem has to do with a defect in the English language: the verb "lease" (as well as "rent", for that matter) is ambiguous. It can describe the act of the owner in leasing to the tenant, or vice versa (leasing from the landlord). This for clarity, one should always use phrases like "lease to tenant" or "lease from landlord", in my opinion.

OP should review the contract with the property manager to be sure it doesn't contain an exclusive listing arrangement. Chances are that it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What I don't understand is how he cannot have their address? Don't they live in the house?
    OP has the physical address but that might not be the same as the mailing address. Also, in this day and age, an e-mail address is often more convenient to use than a "snail-mail" address.

Nov 8, 2014, 06:48 PM
    Thanks to all who tried to help.
    I am sorry, my question was ambiguous... not clear enough.
    Here: I own the house and have leased it to some tenants, and I hired a Property Manager to look after it (I do not live in that area anymore).

Now I want to sell the house and to offer it first to the people who lease it (tenants). My problem is I do not know their phones or e-mail, as it is not specified in the lease contract.

I have asked my Property Manager to provide me those, but he replied with that he might be of a help if I have something to tell to the tenants, instead. Apparently he does not want to disclose the phone number of the tenants to me. Now I do not want to get Property Manager involved in this kind of conversation at all. Particularly not because he is an employee of a Real Estate company, as I want to sell the house by owner, and not by Real Estate Agent.

I have checked the contract, and there is no clause that mention anything about selling the house. My only concern is if I am allowed to contact the tenants without the property Manager's consent? There is nothing specified in the Lease contract about it.

Thanks.
    current pert

Nov 9, 2014, 04:53 AM
    Of course you can contact the tenants any way you wish, including phoning, and you could let the property manager know that you will be finding another manager at the end of your contract.

Nov 27, 2014, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Of course you can contact the tenants any way you wish, including phoning, and you could let the property manager know that you will be finding another manager at the end of your contract.
    Thanks. That's helpful.

Dec 22, 2014, 08:29 AM
    Ending the lease contract
    I have lease my house to the tenants.
    After 9 months both the tenants and I agreed to terminate the lease contract. We will strart new one, but I do not want to use the services of the property manager for it.

Since the tenants are not going to move out, how the property manager can inspect the facilities for the sake of damage deposit returns? Do I have to pay penalty to the manager for the premature ending of the contract? Is there anything else I need to worry about because of the premature termination of the lease contract?

Thank you.
    current pert

Dec 22, 2014, 08:32 AM
    You are constrained by what your contract with the property management says.
    Hopefully you have a copy, and didn't just arrange this over the phone.

I don't understand your last 2 questions. If the tenants aren't moving out, and you don't want the property manager any more, why would you ask how the manager would inspect the apartment? Who has the damage deposit? If the manager has it, you need to do a little adjusting of numbers - either get it back without inspection, or kiss it goodbye and use it to cover remaining fees would be one tactic. Again - it all depends on your contract. What does it say?

Dec 22, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You are constrained by what your contract with the property management says.
    Hopefully you have a copy, and didn't just arrange this over the phone.

I don't understand your last 2 questions. If the tenants aren't moving out, and you don't want the property manager any more, why would you ask how the manager would inspect the apartment? Who has the damage deposit? If the manager has it, you need to do a little adjusting of numbers - either get it back without inspection, or kiss it goodbye and use it to cover remaining fees would be one tactic. Again - it all depends on your contract. What does it say?
    I want the property manager to inspect the facilities for the sake of damage deposti returns. The lease contract is going to end. Prematurely or not, it is ending. And the building needs to be inspected to see if there is any damage to it. It is a job of the property manager.

The damage deposit is held by the property manager and the leasor is due to return the deposit at the end of lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2014, 08:54 AM
    So you have the property inspected, then tell the property manager you are terminating their contract.

As far as the lease is concerned there is no issue with early termination as long as both parties have agreed to it. I would include a clause in the new lease that states that the security deposit is being transferred to the new lease. Then it would be your issue to get it back from the property manager when you terminate their contract.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2014, 09:03 AM
    Likely you will owe the property manager for early termination, and you can work out the deposit and inspection with the tenants. Who has the deposit? If the PM collected it, he has to return it to you, or keep it as part of his termination fees, but the tenants have to be credited for the deposit, inspection or NOT, as a reflection of a new agreement/lease/mortgage.

So it depends on your agreement with the property manager. I doubt they take kindly to being cut out of any fees because you negotiated an agreement directly with the tenants and not through them. Why didn't you? It might have been cheaper and a cleaner process.

Dec 22, 2014, 09:17 AM
    Contract termination:
    Either party, upon one month's written notice to the other party may terminate this agreement.
    So, I would have to pay them one month regular rates, and I will do so.

Dec 22, 2014, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Who has the deposit?If the PM collected it, he has to return it to you, or keep it as part of his termination fees, but the tenants have to be credited for the deposit, inspection or NOT, as a reflection of a new agreement/lease/mortgage.

The property manager has deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The difference in Joint tenants with right of survivorship or tenants in common [ 2 Answers ]

On a warranty deed that reads Joint Tenants with right of survivorship, what is the difference with Tenants in common?

The difference in Joint tenants with right of survivorship or tenants in common [ 0 Answers ]

What is the difference between Joint tenants with right of survivorship. And Tenants in common?

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Can bank evict well paying tenants if tenants want to stay [ 3 Answers ]

My good friend from England and his family are leasing a home in Houston TX. He is a well paid man working for a oil company and (with British passports). Landlord fell sick and is about to foreclose the house and go bankrupt. My friend Martin loves to stay there to continue his tenancy (a...

View more questions Search