Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 05:01 AM
    Windows 8 hardware / software ?
    A friend has a problem and I am running out of ideas for helping him. He has a newer laptop with windows 8 injected into bios. His hard drive locked up completely and he needs to start from square one. The problem is that when trying to install the windows 8 that the machine is authorized for according to the sticker on the back it is not taking the injected product number and windows upon reinstall isn't authorized. This is on a Dell laptop and it is out of warranty. Is there any way besides calling India/ Dell support to get the number to take ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2014, 07:28 AM
    Why don't you run a factory restore? There should be a partition on the machine that can restore the laptop to factory settings.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 05:25 PM
    Scott. The old hard drive that was in the machine was completly locked up and unrecoverable. If it had worked at all I would have dug it out. It just seems odd that windows is injecting the numbers into BIOS but it doesnt seem to always work on a reinstall. It is supposed to and last the lifetime of the machine.

Nov 4, 2014, 05:58 PM
    What disk is being used? Is it the recovery CDs made from the recovery process or what?
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 07:20 PM
    It is a windows 8 install disk. Retail version. Same version (standard) as assigned to the laptop OEM release according to the sticker on the back.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 08:04 AM
    This is a stupid question, is the install disk you're using "Dell Windows 8" or is it "OEM windows 8"?

I ask this because it does make a difference. I had a HP laptop that I had no end of troubles with. The last time I got it back from the repair depot they'd neglected to "Tattoo" the motherboard before sending it out. Because of that none of the restore or laptop specific utilities would work or run on it. I need to use a OEM version I had picked up. I have had this same issue with Dell desktops, it was rated to use win xp sp2. I had the Dell windows disks and OEM windows disks. Seemingly identical, but the Dell one worked and the OEM didn't.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 02:27 PM
    Its what is called a "retail" version of windows. It is not OEM to anyone but Microsoft. It still should work and the bios of the laptop should have allowed it to authorize. It is the same version that the laptop came with and also matches the laptop authoization sticker on the back of the machine.

Nov 5, 2014, 02:47 PM
    When was it purchased?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Its what is called a "retail" version of windows. It is not OEM to anyone but Microsoft. It still should work and the bios of the laptop should have allowed it to authorize. It is the same version that the laptop came with and also matches the laptop authoization sticker on the back of the machine.
    You're going to need to find a "Dell" version of the windows 8 install disk. I know, it's dumb, but that's the only way I have had success.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardware requirement for unigraphics software [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir I reqiired system configuration for installing unigraphics (UG) software.

What's the difference between hardware and software? [ 5 Answers ]

What's the difference between hardware and software? Is there any other difference other than that hardware is the physical components of a computer and software a set of instructions.:confused:

Problems with software/hardware? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I put together a system that should smoke, primarily for MS Flight Sim X. I have an AMD 6500+ 64 x 2. 4g DDR2 Ram. A gForce 8800 GTX with 756mg on board. X-Fi SB Xtreme PCIe Sound card. Running Vista with Directx 10. In FS X the graphics are great, but there is an extreme lag with...

Hardware or Software Problem? [ 1 Answers ]

I wiped out Windows Me on a Dell Dimension XPS D266, installed Windows98SE and now can't open IE or OE and anything I try to open is soooo painfully slow. I've fdisked, reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE 3 times and same results. I tried scanreg /fix in MS-Dos and results says it's fixed but it...

View more questions Search