Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R31211 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2014, 09:58 AM
    Will plan b work?
    Will taking plan b work while being fertile or ovulating?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2014, 10:57 AM
    Yes, that is how it can work as it is designed to. It may prevent ovulation or fertilization, or it may prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. However, most people do not know exactly when they ovulate, only when they might be likely to. Plan b is only good for a few days, with the greatest effectiveness in the first 24 hours taken, then it starts to decrease. This is why it is not very effective as a form of regular birth control.

Say you take it on day 10, thinking that is the day you are most likely to ovulate. So then you have sex, but if ovulation doesn't actually occur until 4 days later, you won't be protected, but there can be sperm still present and pregnancy can occur.

Using plan b after unprotected sex, in case you may be close to ovulation, is when it is should be used. Even then, remember, it will not be 100% effective.
    R31211 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2014, 12:08 PM
    So let me get this straight, taling the pill will still work? And although it's not 100% affective, it's move affective the sooner it's taken, correct?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 1, 2014, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by R31211 View Post
    So let me get this straight, taling the pill will still work? And although it's not 100% affective, it's move affective the sooner it's taken, correct?
    After having sex, that's the important part. If you use it before sex it will be less effective. The sooner you take it after sex, the better the odds of it working. Within the first 24 hours after sex is the best time to take it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2014, 03:24 AM
    You have sex. Take plan B after sex ( the sooner the better)

But then, why not merely use other birth control, if you are planing sex.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2014, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by R31211 View Post
    If you happen to ovulate soon after you take it, it could work. If you don't ovulate when you think you will, it won't do anything for you.

Since exact ovulation is not often known, and even 24 hours can make all the difference, it is designed for taking after unprotected intercourse on the chance that ovulation might soon happen and in hopes of preventing a pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Plan B work if you get a period after you have taken it? [ 2 Answers ]

If you get a period after you take the morning after pill does that mean that you are not pregnant? Will I get my period at a different time of the month then too? Is there any other way of knowing if the pill has worked?

Trying to work out a payment plan [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons of judgement this morning from a law firm by the name of Pressler and Pressler. It stated a judgement was brought against me in April of 2007. I received no other notice prior to this one. Included in the summons was a questionnaire about my finances. It said that the...

Basement Bathroom Plan.Will it work? [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom in my basement. I have searched and read quite a bit of postings in the plumbing section of this website and came up with a plan on how to proceed. I have a few questions and also would like to present my ideas I came up with after reading old postings and have someone tell...

Will this plan work for UPC? [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody see anything wrong (UPC) with this plan? Main waste is 3". Vents are 2". Yellow things are Combos. Blue thing LowHeel 90 Vent. Two Bathrooms each with sink, toilet, shower. One Kitchen sink, one drain for washing machine. Three vents penetrate roof. Drain takes a 45 degree dip and goes out...

View more questions Search