Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wes4tress Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2014, 10:52 PM
    Can my husband adopt her?
    Okay please help me. I have a daughter from a previous relationship and he is Nigerian has never been to the US. He is on her birth certificate as her father but has never supported her. My husband now helps support her. Can my husband adopt her if he would like to? My daughter is 2 1/2 and has only known my husband as her daddy.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2014, 11:28 PM
    Check the rules you may need the birth fathers permission
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2014, 05:56 AM
    You either need the birth father to consent or need the court to agree to terminate his rights. If you don't know where he is, there are still measures you can take. It can be done but you need to see a family law attorney.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 06:45 AM
    Because this involves international law, you NEED an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2014, 01:43 PM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

In most areas an adoption requires the consent of both parents. Provision is usually made for not being able to contact one parent, but an attempt to contact that parent must be proven.

The likelihood is your husband can adopt, but you NEED an attorney to shepherd you through the process.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Because this involves International law, you NEED an attorney.
    Actually, assuming the child was born in the U.S., the only "international" law involved is how the father can be served with process in Nigeria (Nigerian law to some extent, not international law). It's mainly a matter of the law of whichever state in which the child was born and is located and where the OP resides.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex husband passed away. Can my new husband adopt my children? [ 4 Answers ]

I was married to my ex husband he sadly passed away. I remarried and my children call him dad. Can my new husband adopt? My 3 children adore him and has asked for this. My eldest is eight , then my six year old, then my 4 year old. They all want the same name as me, and my husband.

Can my husband adopt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. I was married at the time she was conceived and born to my ex who I couldn't find to get a divorce.I finally found out where he was working and had papers served there. We got divorced in jan 08. I got marriednin march 08. He has not...

Ex husband was new husband to adopt his children [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently married with a child. However I was married once before and have two children with that marriage. The marriage ended due to her extra martial affairs, the children were very young, four and five. They are now 11 and 12. I pay child support and provide insurance for the children....

My husband wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 2 years and together for 5 years. I have 4 boys and 1 girl from 2 prior relationships. My husband has raised my children in the past 5 years on my oldest son his father has been in jail for the past 4 years and won't get out until my son is 17 years old. The...

I want to adopt but my husband does not [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have a boy,and we are trying to have another but I really want a girl and all the children born on my husbands side of the family are all boys. My husband has all brothers the brothers all have boys and it dates back to my husbands great grandfather NO GIRLS AT ALL. My husband on...

View more questions Search