Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryrhino Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2014, 06:00 PM
    How long should I keep the following on external hard drive?
    I have a 500 GB external hard drive. This was the size hard drive I could afford. I have been using AOMEI Backupper free to do weekly differential hard drive backups. In order to gain more space on the external which backup should I delete first? The ones that were done a few months ago or the most recent one? How long should I keep the differential back ups? How long should I keep the system backups? I have a system backup from 4/2014. Do I still need to save it? Thanks for your help.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 24, 2014, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrhino
    In order to gain more space on the external which backup should I delete first?
    I haven't used your backup program, but traditional differential backup (see your program's help for specifics) requires only the full backup plus a single differential backup to complete a restore. So, the oldest differentials are usually deleted first. Deleting all but the full and the most recent differential backup would allow a restore to the date of the differential. Yet, that may not be the most prudent.

The ones that were done a few months ago or the most recent one?
    Sometimes problems requiring a restore, file corruption for example, do not manifest until days, weeks, or even months later. Keeping older backups can be helpful in this case. How many backups to keep depends on your specific data retention needs and how often your data changes.

How long should I keep the differential back ups?
    Without knowing the specifics of your data, I'd suggest keeping one differential of each month since your last full backup as well as the most recent month of weekly differentials. Again, how many backups to keep depends on how much your data changes over time and how many restore points-in-time you feel comfortable with.

How long should I keep the system backups? I have a system backup from 4/2014. Do I still need to save it?
    Yes, if that is your only full system backup. Otherwise, keep the most recent since the differentials are only good since the most recent. You can also make a second copy of it (or third) to provide some additional insurance that you will be able to have a successful restore if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To upgrade a ps3 is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay? Thanks. [ 0 Answers ]

... is it possible to use a new hard drive and external drive bay instead of using a external hd to transfer data? Thanks in advance.

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

External hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

I needed to back up some files right away and my friend used her portable hard drive to do it for me. Can I transfer them safely from her portable hard drive onto one I buy and if I can do that will that delete them from her hard drive unit?

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search