Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Drain Medics Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 PM
    Does Shower insert get Moisture Barrier behind insert on outer wall
    I am putting in a one piece shower insert on the outer wall. It does not go all the way to the ceiling should there be a moisture barrier there like Tar Paper or something
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 24, 2014, 04:57 PM
    Yes. All exterior walls should be insulated with a moisture barrier. A moisture barrier does not prevent moisture from being transmitted. A moisture barrier prevents condensation from occurring inside the walls by preventing the warmer, humid air masses inside from mixing with the colder air masses from the outside. The normal paper or foiled backed insulation should be sufficient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moisture Barrier under Swanstone Shower Walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am framing in a new shower stall. There are no exterior walls to this shower. I am installing solid surface Swanstone over 1/2 inch cement board attached to wood studs. I was thinking I would not need a moisture barrier under these conditions. Much of the CBU is up. Any comments are welcome.

Moisture barrier between wood trim and concrete wall? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are wanting to put rough-sawn western cedar trim on the outside of our garage. What can we use as a moisture barrier between the wood and the concrete wall? Would the waterproofing sealer paint work if it was between the wood and the wall? Or would it be best to use the 6 mil...

Shower insert wall seam leaks [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom shower is leaking. It is a fiberglass neo-angle with glass walls and a door. It leaks where the glass and metal wall meets the fiberglass on the bottom left side. We have caulked, after cleaning and drying it. It still leaks. It doesn't leak a lot, but we have 3 kids...

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

Going from tile to insert in basement Shower [ 2 Answers ]

The shower stall is 30 deep by 31 wide and the drain is not in the middle of the stall. There is a couple of inched difference between the bathroom floor and the shower floor. I assume there is some kind of base that will need to come out when I tear the tile out. Does anyone make a muti-piece...

View more questions Search