Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallmanusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2014, 06:20 PM
    Business Auto Deduction
    I own a small business.

I want to buy a new car for business use.

I have two questions.

1. Should I buy the car personally or owned by the business?

2. How much tax deduction I would get for buying a $40,000 sedan?

Thanks

Michael
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 06:31 PM
    Michael,

If your business is a LLC that is considered a "disregarded entity" or is a sole proprietorship, YOU will buy the car whether it is in the business name or your name and there will be no difference as to how it is treated on your tax return.

If your business is a corporation or partnership, then the car will be considered a company asset if bought in the company's name.

There are limitations as to how much depreciation you can claim on a high-priced new car irrespective on who buys the car.

Your business situation needs to be analyzed by a tax pro, but, as rules of thumb:

- If the car is used MORE than 50% for business, have the business buy the car.

- If the car is used LESS than 50% for business, you buy the car.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2014, 04:38 AM
    I don't believe you can deduct the cost of the car against business income as you can with other expenses. You can claim depreciation of an asset. Irrespective of who owns the car, you may be able claim expenses (gas, mileage, maintenance) against income.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2014, 05:21 AM
    I'm probably the least qualified person of everyone who has answered so far. But I think there is a reason why Leasing is so popular among businesses, I work for a huge corporation and they don't own any vehicles that I know of, they lease all their vehicles.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM
    Actually smoothy makes a good point. The lease payment is probably a deductible expense, a purchase isn't.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Oct 24, 2014, 03:16 PM
    The most depreciation you can claim on a sedan for 2014 is $3,160. You can find that in Revenue Procedure 2014-21. This assumes Congress does not bring back the bonus depreciation that expired at the end of 2013.

As to Item 1, as ATE stated you need to consult a professional.

One note, if you claim actual expenses in the first year, you can not go back and use the standard mileage rate on that vehicle.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2014, 10:04 PM
    MLSNC is right about not being able to claim the standard mileage deduction if you claim actual expenses the first year, as you are LOCKED IN to the actual cost method for the 5-year life of the car.

However, you CAN claim the standard mileage deduction method the first year, then claim EITHER standard mileage or actual expense in successive years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Tax Deduction Question [ 1 Answers ]

If a company provides a product or service free gratis, is the cost or value of that product or service deductible?

Determine the amount active business income eligible for the small business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Problem You, a tax professional working at a local accounting firm, have just received a request from Terry, an assurance partner in the office, asking you to prepare a memorandum to one of his client tax files. He would like you to determine the amount of active business income eligible for the...

Deduction for auto registration fee [ 1 Answers ]

The state of TN includes a "wheel tax" as part of auto registration fees. Is this portion deductible on federal tax returns?

Legal expenses as business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

I had a rental property business 10 years ago structured as a limited partnership which was dissolved 7 years ago. I am now being sued personally for alleged medical problems due to lead paint poisoning from a prior tenant. How can I now claim a business-related deduction for these legal...

Business expense deduction [ 1 Answers ]

There are genuine business expenses, and business could not be started due to legal problems. The business is under single member LLC, and so, schedule C needs to be attached with 1040. Can expenses under this circumstance be claimed as Schedule C loss ? Can they be written off as investment loss...

View more questions Search