Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tazjamin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Pilot light out
    My pilot light went out this morning. It will light but will not stay lit. so I took it out and cleaned it and still will not work what are the next steps that I should take?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Is this a pilot on a furnace, water heater, logs,? Have you checked your thermocouple yet? Come back with your answers please.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Check the sticky at the top of the forum. It has a good explanation of pilots lights. Also if you have a short capped pipe nipple before the controls, shut the gas off and make sure it doesn't have water in it.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 8, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Sorry I never see these stickys Do I need to change my view, I have often seen responses refer to these, how would one get to them?
    Sry to hijak the thread but taz may not know how to see them either?
    Frank
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
    At the top left corner of any question, it shows where the question is. In this case, the Heating and Air conditioning forum. If you go to New Posts, the forum for each question is listed to the right under topics. Forums are also listed on the home page. Click on any forum name, and it takes you to the newest posts in the forum except for stickies. The stickies are always on top. Many of the experts in Home and Garden have put material on common problems such as pilot lights in a sticky. I think Northern Heat has done a fine job.

I am not sure there are many stickies outside Home and Garden.
    tazjamin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Okay I fixed it, it was the thermocoupler.thank you everybody for helping out
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Good job, you kind of lucked out. I always prove the thermocouple first but it could have been worse. Glad to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

How to light a furance pilot light [ 3 Answers ]

My pilot light on my furnace need to be lite and not sure how to light a pilot light, I see the knob to turn that say on, off and pilot but not sure where to hold to fire and not sure if I need to hold the knob down that say pilot at the same time please help.

Pilot light on propane furnace won't light [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! This is a little long, please bear with me... Two days ago we woke up to a very cold house, and upon investigation found that the pilot light on the furnace had gone out. Searched around, didn't smell much gas - so we tried to re-light it. Well, it lit and stayed lit (and we got the...

Cannot light Pilot Light on Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is located in my attic. After Katrina, I had to repair my damaged roof and it seems that the attic fan went out. Since then my water heater pilot light has repeatedly gone out. I can re-light it usually, but the lack of air up in the attic causes the light to go out. Presently,...

Another pilot light won't light (gas wall heater) [ 1 Answers ]

I have the same problem as the person who asked about getting their wall heater to light. The answer was to make sure the flame was touching the thermocouple.. . But how do you do that? I can't make the flame higher, so do I move the thermocouple lower and what does a thermocouple look like...

View more questions Search