Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2014, 12:10 PM
    Allergic to eye makeup
    I've been using eyeliner pencils for years and now have become allergic to them. When I use them, my eye become swollen, red and itchy. I've tried switching to Physicians Formula and Almay but it hasn't helped. I don't want to stop using eye makeup. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 12:20 PM
    Have you tried using fresh product? Different brands?

You could have developed a sensitivity and if you have then there might not be anything you can do about it. There is probably a brand out there that will work for you though. A lot have different enough formulas that you should be able to find something.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 01:06 PM
    I'm allergic to most makeups. The only brand that seems to work for me is Covergirl, which I find odd because it's not an all natural product, it's not specifically designed for women with sensitive skin or allergies. But for some reason that brand works for me.

It took me a long time to weed out those that I couldn't use before I found one that does. Sadly you're going to have to take that journey too. There is no one company or brand that all people with allergies will do okay with. Allergies are very specific, therefore you'll have to weed through those that don't work, and those that do.

Good luck. :)

Oct 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Thank you for your help. Appreciate it. I'll keep trying different brands and hopefully find one that works on me. I think I'll go to a health food store and see if they have any natural eye makeup. I'm so used to makeup that I just can't go outside without it, sad to say.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
    I hear you. But I do have to say, as I've gotten older, wearing makeup isn't that important to me anymore. I often find it too much hassle to put on. Now it's only if we have a special event to go to, or a family dinner. If I'm just going out to buy groceries, I don't bother. :)

I'll ask a friend of mine that's really into all natural products, if she knows of any makeups that you may be okay with. Give me a bit. She is on this site, but she doesn't post that often. I'll send her a link to your question and see if she can recommend any brands to try out. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Oct 23, 2014, 06:48 PM
    Alty directed me here.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about makeup allergies, not having any and almost never using makeup, myself. I do know that with skin allergies and sensitivities it can be almost impossible to find a product that works for you. In that case, sometimes the only options are to deal with the reaction, forgo using the product, spend outrageous amounts of money on specialty products, or make your own.

A little searching will lead you to recipes to make your own makeup. They won't be as durable (waterproof, smudgeproof, etc) as you're used to, but you'll have complete control over the ingredients. It's cheaper than commercial brands, too. I found one link for you, so you have an idea of what to look for and what you might be in for, should you decide to go that route.

http://wellnessmama.com/4948/homemade-makeup-recipes/

Oct 24, 2014, 01:57 AM
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go check out some health food stores. I can do away with eye shadow and other things but eyeliner pencils I can't do without. Alty, I wish I could be like you and could say "the heck with makeup!" I am getting older and yet I'm so used to it I just can't go out without my eyeliner. I guess this new allergy is telling me something... time to give it up. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eye makeup for different colored eyes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I want my makeup done to compliment my eyes, but my eyes are two different colors. One is a bright blue color, and the other one is a really light green (it's almost white) any suggestions? Please an thank you!

I used to be allergic to hair dye when I was very young. Am I still allergic now? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was at least 4 or 5 years old I got my hair dyed and woke up with a very swollen face the next day. I am 17 years old now so I'm wondering if I would still be allergic right now?

Good eye makeup with glasses? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 17 year old girl. I have to wear my glasses 24/7 and I can't get contacts because I have a muscle problem in my eye. So, I was wondering if there was any good eye make-up advice that you could give? Like, eye shadows, mascaras, liner, all that jazz. I am the worst girl in the world,...

View more questions Search