Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seppy781 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2014, 01:58 PM
    21st century slavery
    Can a employer not give raise to the felon he has working but give them to everyone else? Can they take benefits away from felon but no one else? Can he not pay a felon for ANY OVERTIME he works just because he is a felon?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 02:06 PM
    Are you just blowing off steam because you are angry? Do you know all of this for fact, because I believe you are entitled to the same as any other employee.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 03:07 PM
    What does the employment contract say? If the employment contract has been violated then there is a case here, if not then yes he can do that. The response? Find a different job. There are better out there.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 04:53 PM
    Unless there is a contract, the raise and benefits are really up to the employer...OVERTIME though, is a law.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2014, 05:25 PM
    If you actually told us the details about the job, the benefits, and the overtime, instead of leaping into slavery and hypotheticals, we might be able to give you a good concrete answer about labor law.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2014, 06:59 PM
    Nobody is entitled to a pay raise just because someone else got one.

You may or may not be entitled to overtime pay depending one exactly what your job is classified as.

Being a felon or not has no bearing on it.

Like the others said....we need the details. The devil is in the details.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 07:25 PM
    NO, overtime is paid, to anyone working overtime, it is a federal law.
    Raises depend on contract, but they do not have to give raises.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2014, 07:29 PM
    Unless they are in a legitimately salaried position (or at least most salaried positions) Fr_Chuck. Hence the reason for more details. But I'm guessing they aren't salaried.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2014, 05:35 AM
    Raises, unless mandated by a contract, are at the discretion of the employer. Benefits, however, must given to every eligible employee with no discrimination. An hourly employee must be paid for the time they worked and overtime must be paid at time and a half with few exceptions.

So, as the others noted, more details will enable us to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to mix 21st century milk replacer for puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 week old smooth haired chihuahua at around 16 oz in weight measured in a cup on a sm. Weigher , what would b the proper mix? The cup got zroed in and measured in ozs.

What are some challenges facing nursing in there 21st century [ 1 Answers ]

Im writing a paper for school, and this is the topic. I know that staffing is a big challenge, but what are some other challenges?

Abbott and Costello in the 21st Century [ 5 Answers ]

Abbot and Costello in the 21st Century COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you? COSTELLO: Thanks I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer. ABBOTT: Mac? COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou. ABBOTT: Your...

Home Security for the 21st Century [ 9 Answers ]

I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable? Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system? If you ignore...

21st Century Tithing. [ 23 Answers ]

Would you tithe: 1. More 2. Less 3. The Same 4. Be Highly Offended 5. I don't tithe at all. IF your place of worship accepted Debit and Credit Cards????

View more questions Search