Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfarhadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2014, 03:54 PM
    Tested positive on a urine test for alcohol 0.05 at work
    I tested positive on a random urine test at work alcohol level of 0.05%, I have been discharged and have a grievance hearing coming up tomorrow, how can I fight this and prove that I wasn't impaired? I live in CA and work for a cement plant
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2014, 05:09 PM
    If it registered.. then all research and studies on the subject show you were in fact impaired, long before you felt the effects of it yourself. The thresholds for impairment weren't a random number...research proved all subject have measurable impairments at the lowest threshold.

I think your chances of winning are very, very low. WITH a fantastic lawyer. Zero if you defend yourself.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 07:34 AM
    Does your employer have a written policy regarding alcohol consumption? A BAC of 0.05% is below the level of being legally impaired with respect to driving in all states. However, given that your employer does random checks I suspect that they probably have a more stringent policy, which should be in writing and which you should have agreed to as a condition of employment. For example many employers have a policy that you are considered to be "under the influence" if alcohol is found in your body to be "more than an identifiable trace," which 0.05% certainly is. Is that what your employer's policy states? If so, I think your only recourse is to ask that they produce the consent form that presumably you signed when you were hired in which you acknowledged the policy - perhaps if they have lost it, or you never signed one in the first place, you can plead ignorance of the policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do my urine test keep coming back positive for alcohol when I am not drinking? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not drinking alcohol but my urine tests keeping coming back positive for alcohol

How was I tested positive for alcohol in my urine test if I don't drink? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Pregnant and don't drink at all...

How long after alcohol drinking will urine test show positive [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5'6 weigh 150. I usually drink 3 - 4 drinks of capt morgan and ginger ale at night. 1 shot of capt to 10 ounces of soda. I try to drink water between drinks. I am in a drug detox program that does random urine testing... the tests can be taken any morning between 6 - 6:30. How long does...

If a urine test comes back positive for alcohol from probation could I tell them I took [ 1 Answers ]

If I took a urine test for probation and it came back positive for alcohol. Could I tell them I took nyquil and get away with it?

View more questions Search