Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riddiculous Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Computer Freezing.I think I know the answer.
    Okay I built a computer from scratch.

Here is the overall specs:
    -MSI PM8M3-V Motherboard (New)
    -Intel 3.0 GHz CPU (New)
    - 1 GB of 3200 PNY RAM (New)
    -Geforce 6800 Ultra 256 MB Video Card (New)
    -80 GB Ultra ATA hard drive (used)
    -Windows Vista Home Basic (New)
    -500 Watt Power Supply Allied (existing used)

Ran great... I decided to upgrade:
    I added another 1 GB of 3200 PNY RAM for a total of 2 GB Memory. I bought this used from eBay.

Ran fine... for about 2 weeks.. UNTIL
    computer freezes... a little bit at first then more frequently. It got so bad that as soon as I turn on computer and get onto log on screen it would freeze. Sometimes during post after restarting computer. Okay, I thought it must be the hard drive since it's the oldest component. I had a spare but used 80 Gig hard drive.. reinstalled vista... same problems..

Then I bought a new 3.8 GHZ Intel CPU. These CPU's run hot so I bought a very nice heatsink/fan Coolermaster 48 and used Arctic Silver 5. I guarantee I installed this correctly. I also purchased a new video card, BFG 7800 GS OC 256 MB.

Installed them... still freezing.
    Okay... I'm thinking I will buy a new hard drive. I also decided to go back to Windows XP Professional.
    I got a Maxtor 320 GB SATA hard drive... brand new... format to Windows XP.. same freezing problems.

Okay... could it be the motherboard..
    I bought brand new from CompUSA a comparible (sp?) motherboard from Gigabyte. I bought this only 2 days ago.. It ran fine for the first night then the next day when my wife was using it the computer was freezing up again.

Hmm... down to the last 4 components.. I know its not the 3.8GHz CPU because I was running the problems before I got it. PLUS I have been checking the temperature and it within even below the normal temp. setting.

So either 3 of the things.

-Power Supply: Allied is crap. I ordered a OCZ 600 Powerstream Dual rail powersupply. It is a very reliable and rated very high. I will install that when that comes in the mail.

-The Ram: I tried one stick at a time. I even used the slot the FURTHEST from the CPU. Each of them has not been reliable.. the computer would still freeze. Is PNY a reliable brand? I checked PNY website and it is compatible with the motherboards I am using. I also make sure I'm careful of where I'm touching them.

-Video Card: Maybe I'm having compatible issues with other hardware components, but I don't believe that I am.

Freeze up issues:
    1) Sometimes it happens during Post after rebooting computer.
    2) It would happen during BIOS screen. When I'm checking the temperature and voltage it would lock up in there.
    3) I tried using the Memory Diagnostic. I've tried this test 4 x.. All instances I could not finish because the computer would lock up during the last stages of the tests.
    4) I tried during the morning time. I initially thought it was a "heating" issue. But after 15-20 minutes of just internet search it would lock up.

There is no rhyme or reason on why it would lock up. Intense usage or not.. it would lock up. There are times that I can convert a DVD successfully with no computer lockup and yet I can still get the computer lockup during just internet use.! Or it could happen when I play online game (Day of Defeat).

I'm calling PNY tomorrow Monday to see if I can get BOTH stick of memory replaced.
    Once I get new memory and the new power supply back, if I still have freezing issues. I just don't know what to do.

Sorry for the ranting. I know its common that many of you have computer freezes, but I just want to know if anybody else have my issues. After typing all this out, I'm HOPING it's the memory
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 9, 2007, 06:30 AM
    I'm thinking it's the memory too.

You have 1 pair of NEW ram, and 1 pair of USED ram, correct?

Install just one stick of the new ram. Run memtest for several hours to check each stick of ram. It needs to run in DOS mode, so you can created a bootable ISO or floppy disk to run it.

Do this for each stick.

May 15, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Just an update...
    Since then, PNY replaced both my sticks of memory.. they came back and ran great through Memory Test and MEM98...

still, at random.. the computer locks ups.

I took out the motherboard out of the case, built a plexiglass bottom frame, mounted the motherboard using nylonn screws, spacers and washers.. so that no metal parts whatsoever touches the motherboard. So motherboard is now out in the open, on top of desk, exposed. It looks like a mess and my wife hates it buy hey, whatever. In doing this In noticed my power supply connection to the motherboard is bad. Every time I shake the connection, the power would go out! What the heck? I called OCZ and by the way they have the greatest customer support. I told them the problem and I mailed it back to them for a RMA and they sent me a BRAND NEW 700 watt GamerXstream power supply! I am impressed! This thing has excellent reviews and looks beautiful. Connected everything..

but yet... every so often... the computer freezes...

The last component left... the video card.
    I took out the BFG Geforce 256 MB 7800 GS OC and just used the onboard video..

For a whole week and a half... not a single lockup or freeze...
    Granted I couldn't play any hi intense graphic games... though I nearly cried out for joy... and I'm a grown man!

Since then.. I bought a BRAND NEW Sapphire X1950 Pro 512 MB AGP Video card (btw, for those people still using AGP... look into this card-you can't get any better than this!), not a single lock up issue at all. ********KNOCK ON WOOD*********

The only thing I'm still perplexed is why does it have to be the VERY last thing until you find the answer?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
    You seem to have run into a string of bad luck with parts. Bad ram, bad power supply, bad video card. Maybe you should look into where they were purchased...

Anyway, glad your computer is up and running. This should be a great learning experience. :)

May 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    You seem to have run into a string of bad luck with parts. Bad ram, bad power supply, bad video card. Maybe you should look into where they were purchased.....

Anyways, glad your computer is up and running. this should be a great learning experience. :)
    Indeed it has.. :o
    As far as parts purchased.

PNY Ram: eBay - seller said "like new" :mad:

OCZ 600 watt powerstream power supply: eBay - seller said had it only for 3 months. But according to OCZ, that model has been obsolete over 1 1/2 ago.. :mad:

BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC: eBay - again, maybe my motherboard is somewhat compatible with this card. I've tried using this on other computers.. no problem so far. I don't know.

In the future... I am hesitant really to purchase computer components unless its "brand new, in package"... though used items are cheaper... I think I ended wasting more time and more money replacing them.

Thank goodness PNY and OCZ have great customer support and were able to replace items free of charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Freezing: [ 1 Answers ]

The student records department of a well-known TAFE institute is having problems with its computer system. The system is on a network running under the Windows NT operating system and has been developed using a combination of Microsoft Access and Visual Basic. The following areas are causing...

Computer Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

When I got my new computer from my dad on my birthday, I installed a copy of Windows XP Professional on there and it would freeze at cdaudio.sys. Then shortly after it would freeze when I surfed the internet and played games. I could not press Ctrl Alt Delete I could not press the power button, I...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Computer freezing - tried everything... [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry if this post is supposed to be somewhere specific... I just need some quick suggestions because I'm going crazy. Here's my setup, my problem and what I've done to "fix" the problem: Home built machine... WinXP Pro SP-2 2.6 GHz P4 w/HT Asus P4P800-E Deluxe 2 GB DDR400 Kingston RAM...

View more questions Search