Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WeridCatLady Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2014, 09:32 AM
    What should I use for my cat's ringworms? Shampoo or pills?
    It's been a long battle with ringworm, and I tried at home treatments, but nothing seems to work. (Yes, I'm 100% sure its ringworm!) I called the vet and they gave me a chose of a shampoo, that I need to bath her once a week for four weeks, or pills, one to give now and one for a month from now. I have several a couple concerns about both, and they're about the same price. Any advice? Thankful for all answers!
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jan 9, 2015, 12:01 AM
    I would try the shampoo first and see if that works. If not, then proceed with the pills per your vet's advice. One or the other will work - so long as you stick to it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2015, 06:00 AM
    Ringworm is not worms at all but a fungal infection and is highly contagious, can be spread to anyone in the household, and the longer it goes untreated anyone can get it; it stays in carpets, bedding, anything that your cat has been on.

So even though you say you know it is ringworm, it still has to be properly diagnosed by a vet while your cat is in quarantine, so the quicker your cat gets rid of the fungus, then the better off everyone will be. If your vet has suggested pills (without seeing the cat) I would doubt that is a proper diagnosis.

Shampooing alone will NOT get rid of the fungal infection, so why put your pet through this routine as many times as you think it needs it.

@Illusion. Please do not give pet advice on this board unless you know what you are advising about. There are pet experts here specifically for this purpose.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2015, 03:16 PM
    You need to go get her diagnosed. There are a few things that can appear similar to ringworm, and that may be why your treatment isn't working.
    Small cases of ringworm can be treated with a shampoo or topical ointment, but many need the help of oral meds. It can take MONTHS to go away, and a culture should be checked when it looks like it's gone, as it can be hard to get rid of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ringworms on the face! [ 1 Answers ]

I have been using gentle magic products for quiet some time now... approximatly 2 months,and I'm encountering round rash like looking ringworms on parts of my face.. what could be the cause of this?I have tried continuing the usage of gentle magic products but its doesn't seem to go away.. how can...

Mirena to pills, missed pills, no withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I had recently switched from mirena to the pills at the end of January. I took my pills immediately everyday for the first 7 days and had my withdrawal bleeding as well. In the second week I had missed a pill, doubled up the next day and had a very light spotting for that day. Now I missed 6 days...

How old does a kitten need to be to successfully treat for ringworms & tapeworms? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's friend found 2 stray city kittens. Unfortunately, the one my daughter adopted made his first trip to the vet at about 3 weeks old. The vet said "Jake" has both ringworms & tapeworms and no doubt fleas as well. He is very active, playful, & cute, but now she's dealing with his...

Stubborn ringworms [ 4 Answers ]

How can you get rid of ringworms? My husband has tried everything in the book and nothing seems to get rid of it! He doesn't like to go to the doctor so we are looking for a home remedy. Can someone help?

Adricted to diet pills and over the counter pills [ 5 Answers ]

:o I have for the past 4 years been adicted to dietr pills and over the counter pills I even take more then I need toi have tried to stop before but just couldn't stop. I want to stop and I want to get better but I don't know how I can stop with out help but I don't want to sign myself into a...

View more questions Search