Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2014, 10:38 AM
    Money gifting
    If I give my 5 kids, $10,000 each in a mutual fund for xmass before the end of this year, 2014, is there any federal or Maryland tax consequences on the principal, to them or me, other them what it may earn by the end of the year?
    If they cash it in, in 2015 , any tax consequences on the principal?
    Thank you... richard
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2014, 03:35 PM
    May depend on where the $10K comes from. Are you selling shares in a fund to get the $50K or do you have it in a money market account, checking etc? The gifting is not a problem for them, how it is possibly derived may be for you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 17, 2014, 08:24 PM
    You can give cash and not have any tax consequences. I think the gift limit is still 13K per person. I wouldn't give a mutual fund if they will probably want to spend it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2014, 04:06 AM
    You may make a gift of up to $14,000 per child per year without any immediate tax consequence. If you make the gift by purchasing mutual funds in their names using cash then their tax cost basis is set by the value of the funds as of the date of the gift. But if you are going to be transferring fund shares you currently own to them without first selling the shares, their tax basis will equal your current tax basis. When they sell, if the value they receive is greater than the tax basis they will have capital gains tax to pay. There may also be taxes on any income they receive from the fund during the time they own it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifting foreign money [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US Citizen, married to a non US Citizen, I have a dual Citizenship and currently living out of the US, My father in low gave as about $120,000 as a gift to buy a home, the money stayed in my foreign account for a few days until it was transferred to the contractor (it's a new house)....

Gifting money in the USA [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US resident holding a green card and I would like to know if there is any tax payable on monies I may receive from my mother on her death. My mother is a non US citizen. Additionally, if this was my share of a non US Family Trust where I was a named beneficiary, would there be tax payable?

Gifting Money to Children [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Florida and need to know how much I can give a child without them paying taxes on it.

Gifting money to children [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling my home in AZ but will be moving to MN. I want to gift the money from the sale of the house to my children. I want to know what I need to do at the immediate sale and how much I am allowed per child for the year 2009?

View more questions Search