Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2girls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2014, 08:08 PM
    Adult daughter wants relationship with fondling father
    Ok, I have 2 daughters ages 26 and 20 and have been divorced about 10 years. Recently, my oldest daughter went through a divorce and got a new boyfriend and moved in with him, something that I taught against. She has recently begun seeing a counselor and told me that her father fondled her as a child.

While I had many problems with her father, I was totally shocked by this revelation and while I was totally supportive of her, I questioned the reliability of it to myself. That was until she showed me a texted conversation between her and her younger sister confirming that it happened to her also but she didn't want to bring it up because she was dealing with the past fine and it wouldn't change anything.

When I confronted my younger daughter about it her reaction was she was upset with her sister sharing this with a new boyfriend when she hadn't told her boyfriend of 4 years. My oldest daughter is seeing a counselor and confronted her father and wants nothing to do with him. My youngest daughter though wants to keep her relationship with her father.

I've tried and tried to get her to talk to me, her sister or a counselor but she refuses saying she is fine. I don't want to stress her out too much right now because she is in her first semester of nursing school and she doesn't need added stress that came about at absolutely no fault of hers but I also feel like it can't be healthy to keep up with the relationship with her father.

I don't know what to do. She wants everyone to just drop it because she says she has adjusted. She is a very well grounded girl with great responsibility , level headed and not wild. She's in the honor society at her college and has been in a relationship with her boyfriend for 4 years but refuses to talk marriage until she gets her nursing degree.

What do I do to help her?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2014, 08:31 PM
    Your daughter is 20. Therefore, she is an adult and can make adult decisions. If she chooses to keep contact with her father, that is her choice. All you can do is support her and be there for her.

Nursing school is tough, I've been there, done that and got the RN. She needs all the support she can get right now.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2014, 08:32 PM
    Why do you think she needs help?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2014, 05:22 AM
    You won't be helping her if you constantly bring this up. Trust me when I tell you, if she says she has dealt with it, she has dealt with it. Dealing with something like this or not usually shows up in the person behaviors. You have two daughters who are at opposite ends so to speak. Everyone thinks, including those that have been abused, that confronting the abuser will set them free. That just isn't the case. It's a step but it isn't the step to end all steps. Trust your daughter and encourage your daughter through school and life. She sounds like she is on the right path.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2014, 05:57 AM
    She may have talked with father and forgiven him, and wants some contact with her father. You may not like it, but it is her right to do so.

If you keep insisting she is wrong, you will just chase her away from you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 17, 2014, 06:03 AM
    I know you just want to help, and have the best intentions, but for now bury this subject, because you do more harm than good keeping old wounds open. MAYBE when SHE is ready, she will come to you, but the point is don't go to her.

Yeah, kids do grow into adults and do things their way, and we parents are the ones who need the help to let them.

Go figure.
    Mommy2girls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2014, 06:22 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I have really just kept it to myself due to not wanting to stress her out during school but have felt guilty by NOT insisting she drop him like a hot potato. Do I like that she has a relationship with him? Hell no but I figured I can't do anything about that.

Thanks everyone for the advice... and encouragement that I am doing the right thing in letting her deal with it. I live in the south where momma is momma forever and momma tells you what to do no matter if your 2 or 92 and I've really been battling myself in how to help her with this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2014, 06:45 AM
    It doesn't appear she needs any help with this. While I see your point and totally agree, it seems your daughter is handling this the way she feels is appropriate for her.

I know it's hard Momma, but trust that you raised her well and let her make her own choices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship with adult daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Our 30 year old daughter who just had her second marriage will move to a small condo with her new husband and son from her previous marriage. I asked if she could take a lot of her boxes that I took out of attic and still left many boxes of baby clothes, etc, up in attic. She needs to go through...

How do I repair my relationship with my adult daughter. [ 7 Answers ]

MY daughter who lived with me for 27 years and had a business with me for 10. (horse business) Before we split almost 2 years ago she had an affair with a married man and ended up pregnant. I helped raise her daughter for 2 1/2 years . She started dating a guy she met on the internet. Mean while...

Adult Father Daughter Sexual Relationship [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriends mother died recently and I was asked to take something over to her fathers house (age 85) to drop off. I don't think he was expecting me. There was a delay in his answering the door. When he did he looked dischelved and it little flushed. I didn't think anything of it and walked...

How do I repair my relationship with adult daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter and I have had a very good relationship (she is 28). She has a husband, home and 3 kids. We have always been close. But recent things have happened because of her husband that has caused a most terrible rift between my daughter and I. She has done and said some things that are lies...

Relationship Issues with Adult Daughter [ 3 Answers ]

I am 55, have been happily married for 34 years. We have a daughter, age 27, who is a single mom with two beautiful children. Grand daughter, age 5, grandson, age 2. They are bi-racial, with different dads. Since our daughter was about 15, she has been very difficult to deal with. We keep...

View more questions Search