Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcticfox580 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 15, 2014, 05:53 PM
    Help my mom is a total HEALTH FREAK?
    Of course, every singke parent wants their child to be healthy but I think my mom has taken it way too far. She will not let me eat the tiniest bit of junk food. I am not allowed to eat chocolate, candy, icecream, chips, cookies, soda, etc. The only thing she will let me drink is water, milk and smoothies. She won't even let me drink juice because of the added sugar UNLESS the juice contains 0 sugar then I will be allowed to drink it. Same with lemonade it contains a lot of sugar so I'm not allowed to drink lemonade. I think the last time I had a chocolate bar was 4 years ago when a friend offered me one at school though I wasn't allowed to have one, I never had potato chips in my life actually I have but that was 7 years ago and I thought junk food tasted good, I understand I can't eat junk food all day but why not once in awhile? And for Halloween Im not allowed to go out for candy. I have never ever been trick-or-treating in my life. EVER. And also since my mom only cares about healh, on Halloween she gives kids apple slices. Not even candy apples but fresh fruit like apple slices. I mean, really? Halloween is about candy and she gives people fruit. And also my mom doesn't let me go to birthday parties because she know there will be junk food like cake there. Unless it's a cousin's birthday then I'm allowed to go but she tells the parents to order a salad for her child instead of giving her cake. And when I'm at a party I feel very left out because I am eating salad while the other children enjoy cupcakes and cake.

My mom also makes me do excersise. She says in order to stay healthy you need to workout. I have to wake up at 6am to do at least a half hour of excersise before I go to school. My school is a 45 minute walk from my house yet, she still makes me walk that far of a distance because its "healthy" and walking is excersise and driving me to school is not. My mom also gives me a very strict schedule. I have to be in bed by 8:30, it sounds extremely early I know and I have to wake up at 6 to do excersise, then my mom insists on me eating a BIG BREAKFAST that consists of healthy boiled eggs, bread (must be whole wheat bread, I cant have white bread), a bowl of fruit, yogurt and cereal and I must drink a smoothie. All my friends go to bed at 10 or 11 and wake up at 7 and I cant do that. That's why I cant have sleepovers or go to a friends house because my mom knows junk food and TV will be involved. I find it extremely unfair because I never once saw my friends outside of school. And all my friends are all about getting together during weekends and I'm very left out on that.

My mom also doesn't let me grow my hair long. It must be ABOVE the shoulders because she says if I have long hair all the vitamins and minerals will go to my hair instead of my body helping me grow. I have no idea if this is true and also I have to have a haircut every 3 months (im a girl) and my mom gets a haircut every month, she has short hair herself. My mom also will not let me wear makeup because it is bad for you skin, nail polish because its bad for your nails, I cant even get an earring because metal is bad for your skin according to her or get a tattoo when I'm older, things like that! She won't let me wear heels because it is bad for your bones. There are so many things she won't let me do because she believes its not good for you.

So there you have it, my mom would literally KILL me if I ate a tiny piece of candy of drank only a sip of soda. I would be in very big trouble if I did and its not fair because there are many foods I want to try but she won't let me just because of how "unhealthy" it is. She checks the 'nutrition facts' frequently and on everything she buys from the grocery store. I must have the right amount of fruits & veggies, meat, milk and bread products a day, I must get enough excersise and sleep. There are also so many things she won't let me do just because its "unhealthy" and I feel like I'm missing out a lot on what life has to offer. I can say that in my entire life I never had icecream. People think I'm weird for it. Its because my mom doesn't let me. All I know about icecream is that its cold and that's it. How can I convince my mom to let me once in a while have a bit of junkfood? I tried everything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 05:59 PM
    You can't, you live with it, and decide how you will live your life later, when you are grown
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2014, 06:37 PM
    I'm with Fr_Chuck. You do what you are told, how you are told, when you are told. Until you are old enough and able to support yourself in your own place.

Your mom knows more about health than anyone your age does. Recent studies have shown much of the artery clogging plaque that kills so many people actually gets deposited in their teen years by eating crap food during that period in your life you wrongly believe you are invincible and nothing will harm you. So the crap you might want to eat now can determine if you die in 20 or 30 years from a heart attack or not. Sometimes even sooner.

Yes that was NOT a theory...its a proven fact based on MRI's and CAT scans of teenagers that nobody expected to find.

You might think that's rubbish and it WON'T happen to you. Well you aren't special and you aren't any different than anyone else. It does effect you long before you have symptoms. In fact its happening far sooner today than it ever did in the past because of kids today eating a lot more crap and getting far less exercise than the average kid got just 20 or 30 years ago.

And unlike excess weight. This won't go away by suddenly having an epiphany and deciding to eat right. Once the damage is done...its permanent.

Poor thing..having to get up at 6am. I had to get up at 5am to make it to class by 8am when I was in college because of an hour and a half bus ride each way. I've had to get up at 6 am to go to work where I'm at now for the last 20 years. It doesn't hurt you. In fact it does you good. It builds discipline so few kids have today. You are going to be doing a LOT of things you don't like to do or want to do the rest of your life. Best get used to it now. I don't LIKE it....I do it because I have to.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Wow, that sounds like my life growing up. My mom never let us have any junk food either. Why? Because we had NO money!! Junk food like potato chips and soda was too expensive. Our cereal never had marshmallows or toys. Milk was non-fat because it was cheap. We had chicken every day because we couldn't afford beef. I had my first taste of soda when I was 8 at a bowling alley. Cookies were homemade, never store bought. I had to be in bed by 7:30 even through high school, unless I had to work.
    I walked to and from school and I survived.
    So, stop complaining and start making a list of all the junk food and things you'll have in your house when you move out. And make sure you save the list for when you have kids. I'm sure they'll be excited to have all the junk and rotten teeth to go with it. You'll be the cool mom with kids who are overweight. Have fun!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 07:53 PM
    I highly doubt she'd literally kill you.

Fact is, you're a kid, you live under your parents roof, and they make the rules. If they don't junk food, you don't junk food. If they won't allow you to get your license when you're 16, you're walking. If they won't let you date until you're 18, you're not dating. If they won't let you have a pet, you don't get a pet.

Welcome to be a kid, we've all been there, and we all had to live by the rules our parents set. It's called life!

Having said that, if what you post is true, your mother is really extreme! Sadly, what she's doing isn't abusive, and she has the right to do it.

Once you turn 18, if you want to live your own life, eat cake, chips, get fat, stop exercising, you can move out and do whatever you want. Until then, you're stuck with your mom and her neurosis.
    arcticfox580 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 15, 2014, 10:14 PM
    ^^ I'm not saying she's going to actually take a knife and actually stab me to death its just an expression and what I meant by that was that she will get mad at me and I'll be in deep trouble she's not going to actually KILL me obviously
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 10:20 PM
    You poor thing. You have a mother that loves you and cares about your health and you are complaining.

Life is tough kid. Get used to it. You are lucky you have such a loving mother.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 16, 2014, 04:36 AM
    Hey, I'll feel sorry for you. Not too much, but my mother didn't let us eat ANYTHING that wasn't part of breakfast, lunch or dinner, and we didn't have junk food because it was a million years ago, and junk food almost didn't exist. There weren't the wonderful food choices then either - we never had a single fresh vegetable in all my 17 years at home. And post WW2 parents were frugal, and washed tinfoil and saved everything. The food thing didn't really have a lot to do with health, although 'sugar will rot your teeth' was all part of being frugal by avoiding dentist bills. I was allowed to go to parties and such, so you have it worse.
    Anyway, as soon as I was on my own I went sugar and junk crazy, and never really stopped. So I think that parents who operate at extremes make a big mistake.

But the bottom line is that there is nothing you can do about your situation (I did sneak out with my babysitting earnings to buy sweets). Childhood isn't the only stage of life that is unfair, it all is. You just trade parents for things like employers and the requirements to make a living.
    One of the biggest struggles in adulthood is knowing whether what you do with your life is a rebellion against your childhood, or a genuine choice based on what you believe. Ideally, of course, you choose based on a value system that is yours and yours only.
    Good luck.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 16, 2014, 07:38 AM
    While I disagree with some of what you're mother is doing I would rather her err on that side then the other. Chances are this will back fire and you'll abandon all this when you're out of her house but then it will be your life to do what you will. If I were you I would research what she is doing and why. Understand it instead of just accepting it. She's is doing this for a reason, figure it out. Even if you don't agree with it, at least you'll be educated.

Life, especially the early years, is a constant learning experience. Learn what you can from this. Whether you incorporate any of this into your life after you move out is up to you. Until that point, instead of complaining how rough your life is, learn about what is going on and learn what it means.

Good luck.
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Oct 16, 2014, 10:50 AM
    I agree with all so I'll not repeat what they are saying but would like to give a suggestion, What if the things you want to eat or drink like cookies, lemonade, or juice etc are home made. Ask your mom to make it at home and whatever could be made with her healthy ingredients. In that way your desire will be fulfilled and your moms too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The total assets and total liabilities of Pauls Pools, a proprietorship, at the begin [ 1 Answers ]

The total assets and total liabilities of Pauls Pools, a proprietorship, at the beginning and at the end of the current fiscal year are as follows: Jan. 1 Dec. 31 Total assets $280,000 $475,000 Total liabilities 205,000 ...

How to find beginning retained earnings with total revenues and total expenses [ 1 Answers ]

The company's total equity increased by $32,000 during 2011. New stockholder investment during the year totaled $65,000. Total revenues during the year were $500,000 and total expenses were $460,000. Cash on decreased by $7,500 during the year. What amount of dividends did the company declare...

I'm worried about my mom's mental health [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a 17 year old American girl living in Germany. For about the last 7 years, my mother's mental and physical health seem to be steadily deteriorating. It all started when my mother's father died. My mother was pregnant at the time with my younger brother and the shock of her father's death threw...

Lookng for home health care tips for fianc?'s mom who has a replaced hip that no long [ 3 Answers ]

We are seeking advice to help us take care of my fiance's mother. She is 92 and has had 4 hip replacements in her life, 3 on one hip. It is that hip that is causing the most problems now. Recently, after sitting for a while, when she tries to rise from the chair and walk she is unable to do so...

Mom and her boyfriend (not really a health- related one) but what ever. [ 3 Answers ]

I've heard my mom and her boyfriend have sex about twice since she's been with him. I want to talk to her about it but I'm not comfortable. I need some advice on what to say if I want her to stop having sex with him when I'm at her house. Thnxx so much muahh

View more questions Search