Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mickster4 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2014, 10:36 PM
    In a Pickle with my living situation
    Truly in a pickle with my living situation. Live with my father in the Rural U.P. of Michigan where there are pretty no jobs in my field (Social Work), but just getting sick of living up here. The pickle is I want to move but I don't think I have enough money to live on my own and where my mom lives is where I became addicted to drugs (almost 2 years clean). So what should I do because I believe if I go back to my mom's in Kentucky I will become addicted or do I stay in Michigan where I am miserable? Or maybe should I try it on my own? Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 06:12 AM
    Staying away from old friends is one way to help stay clean, but, it also shows you are not really kicked the addiction, since you can not just say no to the old friends, and not see the old ones.

And really Kentucky will have more social work jobs ?

Have you picked an area, and started sending resume to some city you want to live, and find a job there. Before you move?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 06:16 AM
    You can do whatever you want to with a well thought out plan. Maybe start with a new skill that makes you better qualified for a job in a better market. Starting over or being retrained is not an easy path, but life isn't easy anyway.

Maybe a job in your field is scarce, but any job in any field is better than NONE, and gives you the chance to at least plan for a better one. Going back to Kentucky is an option also because you know the people, places, and things to AVOID, and you now know how to STAY clean and sober.

It's a matter of planning, AND PRACTICING what you have learned, and applying them positively.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Yes, I know how absolutely rural the UP can be ! Kentucky sounds more tastful and surely you can stay away from the people who got you in trouble the first time.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2014, 04:07 PM
    Start by looking for a good job everywhere you would consider living. When you have a job lined up, move where you have work. In the meantime do what ever work you can get and save as much as you can to prepare for moving expenses.
    Mickster4 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions, have really been wanting to go out west for a long time now and there has to be at least a few social work jobs either in California, Arizona, Nevada! Have always been a fan of the heat so I much rather prefer to be hot instead of cold!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2014, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster4 View Post
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions, have really been wanting to go out west for a long time now and there has to be at least a few social work jobs either in California, Arizona, Nevada! Have always been a fan of the heat so I much rather prefer to be hot instead of cold!
    Check with Catholic Charities and Lutheran Social Services. Or once you decide in a location, call the public library there and ask this at the reference desk, a great place to start job hunting.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2014, 11:33 AM
    Employment Ads - National Association of Social Workers

Warmer than where you are, and Boston is a good town for roommates to cut way down on expenses.

But I just grabbed that in an instant by googling 'social work newsletter jobs' so I'm sure that there are postings in other professional publications.

Also, check out the websites of major cities like LA and SF. Most post gov't jobs. And again - roommates, especially in any college town.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How his living situation affects custody in court... [ 6 Answers ]

My ex and I were never married but we had a son together. Our son is now 16 months old. He has always been iny custody, his father and I have not been together since he was conceived. His father visits him at my home and pays a little money each month to help out. His father would like to have...

In a pickle. [ 1 Answers ]

I smoke marijuana everyday and have for years how do I make my hair clean for a hair test in a week? Please I need help

Is a living trust needed for this situation [ 2 Answers ]

We pay mortgage and insurance for elderly parents with arrangement that they live in house and when the both pass house goes to us. The whole family is aware of this arrangement but we all would like to have something in writing. We were told that a living trust would work but we are unsure...

I'm in a pickle [ 1 Answers ]

Hey. I am 18 years old and ever since I was 12 I wanted to be a forensic scientist. When I actually started college for it I suddenly didn't want to do it anymore! I ended up dropping out of college and now I have no clue what I want to do... sort of. I am thinking about going into a medical field...

Living Situation [ 9 Answers ]

I'll try and make this the shortest version of the story I can Me and a few of my friends all went in on an apartment together and 4 days before the "move in date" the ALL bailed out on me (some friends huh?) So then all my stuff was at my Boyfriends Mothers House waiting to be moved to my new...

View more questions Search