Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hiethozza272 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Java program, logic error
    So I have to write a program to calculate the amount of sale an employee need to make in order for her to earn 30 000$. Her income comes from 2 sources. One of them is her base salary which is 5000$, and the other is her commission. Here is how the commission work. If her sale is from 0 - 5000, she get 8% commission. If her sale is from 5000.1 - 10,000, she get 10%. If over 10,000, she get 12%. So for example, if her sale is 25,000$, her commission will be 5000 * 8% + 5000 * 10% + 15,000 * 12% = 2,700 . In this case, she wants to earn 30,000$ including her base salary, how much sale she has to make?

import java.util.Scanner;

public class sale539 {
    public static void main(String[] args){
    Scanner input = new Scanner (System.in);
    System.out.println("PLease enter the amount of money you want: ");
    int money = input.nextInt();
    int commissionwant = money - 5000;

int sale = 0;
    double commissionearn = 0;

for( sale = 1 ; sale >= commissionearn; sale++ )
    {
    if(sale <= 5000)
    {
    commissionearn = sale * 0.08;}
    if( sale > 5000 && sale <= 10000)
    {commissionearn = 5000* 0.08 + ( sale -5000 )*0.1;}
    if ( sale > 10000 )
    { commissionearn = 5000* 0.08 + 5000 *0.1 + (sale -10000)*0.12;
    }

if ( commissionearn== commissionwant)
    break;

}

System.out.println("The sale you need to make is " + sale + " in order to earn " + money);

}

}
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 08:24 AM
    First off, why are you using a for loop? This is a simple mathmatical equation.

You know that you will make $400 on the first $5k, $500 on the second. So

if(commissonwant < 0)
    sale = 0;
    else if(commissionwant <= 400 )
    sale = commissionwant / 0.08;
    else if( commissionwant <= 900)
    sale = 5000 + (commissionwant-400)/0.1;
    else
    sale = 10000 + (commissionwant-900)/0.12

Don't make things more complex then they need to be. The logic error you didn't find was in the conditional of your for loop. The conditional should be the if statement before your break. You essentially made a while(1) loop and you're breaking it internally. This is REALLY bad form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple Calculator has error (my first program in java with GUI) [ 0 Answers ]

I have a problem with my code... it's a simple code and the error I think in ' = ' button or sum button import javax.swing.*; import java.awt.event.*; import java.awt.*; public class Frame extends JFrame implements ActionListener{ JButton b0,b1,b2,b3,before,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,C,X,O,sum;

Java program help!! [ 1 Answers ]

Dr.Java method and overloaded methods help in code? Write a program that uses two overloaded methods to calculate the monthly payment for a loan. The formula for calculating a payment is shown further down. Given that the user enters: - an annual interest rate such as 3.600%, which is the...

Java netbeans program- Connection between java and mysql,How to conn [ 0 Answers ]

which I wrote from a book but when I run it, it shows exception please give me the code to connect jlistbox to database when I click on btn1. btn coding should search "name" in database and shows all the names in listbox my coding: here-- r1,r2,r3 are radio btns and l1,l2,l3 are labels,...

Java program error [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, program is for managing account details using jdbc but ,there error like some variable not accessible in specefic block . Please solve this problem. If you can.. //mypanel1-LogIn class mypanel1 extends JPanel { JTextField t1,t2; JButton b1,b2; mypanel1() { JLabel l1,l2; ...

Error: Java Virtual Machine Launcher "Could not find the main class program will exit [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir / Madam, When I am trying to open .exj extension file, I am getting error as mentioned above. Please help me, whether I have to install any java module or something other has to be done. Thanks

View more questions Search