Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 14, 2014, 04:19 PM
    Safety Deposit Box
    Not sure if my friend is listed as co-owner or beneficiary of his mothers SDB. He had a key to the box but he was only able to remove the will. His mother was a
    Widow. Is his normal practice so that the state an feds can get their hands on the
    Taxes?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 14, 2014, 04:31 PM
    No, it has nothing to do with a nefarious plot on the part of government to "get their hands on the Taxes" (sic).

It's the agreement the bank makes with the owner of the SDB (your friend's mother, in this case) when the box is first rented.

If he was allowed to open the box, the bank may have relaxed the rules of the agreement, or it may have specified that he could open it for the limited purpose of retrieving the will. Hard to say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 07:10 AM
    If the person was also a owner (co/owner) then they could get into it,

I am surprised he was even allowed to get the will, without a order from the court.

But, no, it is because all items has to go though probate court. So that it is done properly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cosigner on bank safety deposit box? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Mississippi. I was co-owner to the bank safety deposit box which my father had at the time of his death. There was a will, which I am the executrix. There was some cash in the box, which I used to pay for the funeral. What are my responsibilities concerning the remaining cash? I have a...

My father left me a safety deposit box. Do I get it or does the estate? [ 6 Answers ]

My father died with a living trust. In the trust he lists one safety deposit as mine the other as my sister's.The other items in the estate that still had my mother's name on themthat were not listed in the trust, were paid to the trust who then divided them. Is that what will happen with the...

Missing Safety Box [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for a bank to lose a safety box? Yesterday I received a phone call from the bank that there was something wrong with my box and once I went to the bank they first told me they had no record of my box. Then they come back and tell me that they had to drill into my box but the box was...

Safety box [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone knows about safety box? I said safety box in bank can not 100% safe. Someone can steal or rob it. My friend said that is impossible. Who is right ?

Banks lease safety box [ 2 Answers ]

In Japan Major bank lease safety box in same premises for customer. Customer use these safety boxes to keep valuables ( cash, gold, jewel ) Now I am looking for safety box leased by bank in New York or other state. But I couldn’t find out. Where can I find out those safety boxes?

View more questions Search