Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2014, 09:24 PM
    Carbonated drinks
    I am 31 weeks pregnant and I'm craving for carbonated drinks like coke.. is it safe for me to drink it?
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Oct 13, 2014, 10:23 PM
    I have never heard that soda is any worse for a pregnant woman than any other person, that being said, most carbonated soda is not exactly good for you to start with. Have you tried carbonated flavored water? Or is it more of a caffeine craving? The less junk in there, the better, of course... if flavored sparkling water isn't cutting it, maybe sprite/7-Up? If you are craving a caffeinated soda, I think moderation is the key and making sure you stay well hydrated with water and most importantly, keeping the caffeine level within the Dr. recommended amount is important. One soda a day, probably not a big deal, but a 6-pack would be another story.

Here is a link that talks about caffeine and pregnancy, but also keep in mind that the calories you take in should be nutrient rich, so even though it lists five sodas to reach the limit, I would consider that excessive, personally.

Caffeine and pregnancy: what's safe? - BabyCentre
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2014, 02:21 AM
    The occasional soda is not likely to be a problem as the caffeine would not be too high with one here or there. However, perhaps a bigger concern is the sugar content which is quite high and that can have potential risk to baby just as it can to you. Another potential concern is that sodas can also work against your calcium absorption.

Be aware as well, that for many people, once you have one or two, it can increase your craving for it even more. It may be easier to just avoid it for now than to possibly deal with more of a craving.

There are caffeine free sodas available, which could be a better option if you have some. Better to avoid diet sodas altogether.

In other words, although the occasional one may not be a big concern, there's no nutritional value, can be harmful in excess in particular, best to avoid if possible, and that really goes for anyone, pregnant or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does a bottled carbonated beverage fizz when you take the cap off? [ 1 Answers ]

Why does a bottled carbonated beverage fizz when you take the cap off?

Plumbing Carbonated Water [ 1 Answers ]

If a carbonated Beverage machine has a backflow condition, what does the carbonated water do to the copper water lines?

Benefits of Carbonated Water [ 2 Answers ]

Are the health benefits of Sam's Club Carbonated Flavored Water the same as regular water like flushing out waste and better skin? :)

View more questions Search