Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ushistory84 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2014, 09:57 AM
    Louisiana Purchase
    We know that Thomas Jefferson made the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 for $15 million, which doubled the size of the United States, but I'm curios to know.. Was Jefferson initally afraid to make the purchase because he was afraid that doing so would cause a war with France?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 11, 2014, 10:05 AM
    Good place to start your research: Louisiana Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2014, 10:12 AM
    Is this homework or idle curiosity? We don't do homework, but will help you once we see you have made an effort.

Who owned the Louisiana territory before the US did? What was going on between Spain and France? Why was there a possibility of war with France? What did Jefferson do to prevent war? What resulted from his decision?
    ushistory84 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
    Its just idle curiosity. I recently watched a documentary on Thomas Jefferson and I'm interested in learning more about him. France previously owned the Louisiana territory.

The sale of the territory by Spain back to France in 1800. I think that there was a possibility of war over the fear of an eventual French invasion spread nationwide when, in 1801, Napoleon sent a military force to secure New Orleans. The war was prevented by The Treaty of Louisiana
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 11, 2014, 11:55 AM
    Thomas Jefferson lived in France for a period of his life; he did not want to jeopardize his accumulation of land for the US by alienating the French who he considered to be a good trade resource and a strong allie. By the way, France and Spain were always at war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana Law [ 5 Answers ]

I have 3 sisters, 1 half sister and 1 half brother. My father died in 1991 and my mom is 73. There is a house and property. No will. If my mother died how would this be handled? Would the house have to be sold ? If one person refused sale, would it just rot?

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examp [ 10 Answers ]

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examples

How did the Louisiana Purchase pave the way for Manifest Destiny? [ 0 Answers ]

Thirty-six years before the invention of the phrase "Manifest Destiny," Jefferson's advice to Madison hints at the future. Write a paragraph in which you explain how the Louisiana Purchase helped pave the way for Manifest Destiny.

What is entry for sales accounted in purchase & purchase in sales [ 1 Answers ]

I want journal entries for the above questions

View more questions Search