Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csigsrfan Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2014, 04:10 AM
    Laundry help
    I have some bedding that when I was the bedding it smells clean but after I dry it there is bad oder coming from them. I have tried letting one sit in vinger water for over two hours and still has a smell when dry. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of the oder? It was NOT my dryer and I tried a different dryer the 2nd time. I cannot get rid of the bedding
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 04:32 AM
    Use scented dryer sheets.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 06:01 AM
    I'd rewash and use a liquid fabric softener, and a dryer sheet too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 06:07 AM
    You could add baking soda to the wash.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2014, 06:34 AM
    What type of odor is it?

Oct 9, 2014, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Use scented dryer sheets.
    I tried that and still smell bad

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    What type of odor is it?
    For lack of a better work butt (sweat) smell

Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'd rewash and use a liquid fabric softener, and a dryer sheet too.
    Done that
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2014, 10:18 AM
    From my knowledge... that Body odor smell is a tough one to get out. I once read an article explaining it somewhere but if memory serves me right it's the chemical compounds and proteins the body sheds...

What brand laundry detergent do you use? Some really are much better than others. Everything I have heard and seen is TIDE is FAR better than store brands or even many of the competing brands... ( a reason its actually under lock and key some places as certain criminal elements even use it as a type of currency for that reason), and I've seen that by Consumer Reports and some other places.

Do you have well water? In certain areas well water can have certain chemical compounds that can cause this.
    Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 10:23 AM
    If you have tried everything, throw the sheets out and start over again by only having them on your bed a couple of days, not weeks, or a week. Or, failing that, take more showers and scrub harder.

Oct 9, 2014, 12:37 PM
    From my knowledge... that Body odor smell is a tough one to get out. I once read an article explaining it somewhere but if memory serves me right it's the chemical compounds and proteins the body sheds...

What brand laundry detergent do you use? Some really are much better than others. Everything I have heard and seen is TIDE is FAR better than store brands or even many of the competing brands... ( a reason its actually under lock and key some places as certain criminal elements even use it as a type of currency for that reason), and I've seen that by Consumer Reports and some other places.

Do you have well water? In certain areas well water can have certain chemical compounds that can cause this.
    As I have said they smell clean and fresh when they come out of the washer it is just when they are dry that they have the smell. We use tide and have always used well water

As I have said they smell clean and fresh when they come out of the washer it is just when they are dry that they have the smell. We use tide and have always used well water

If you have tried everything, throw the sheets out and start over again by only having them on your bed a couple of days, not weeks, or a week. Or, failing that, take more showers and scrub harder.
    The smell come from the dryer not us. Do not have the money to start over
    Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 12:57 PM
    The smell cant becoming from the dryer; with the amount of heat in the dryer, it would kill any bacteria around and the smell it creates.

Do you have a dog ?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 9, 2014, 01:06 PM
    Over the years I have found that sometimes the perfumes in detergents can overpower the bad smell while the fabric is wet. Once dry the detergent smell isn't as powerful.

Are you having the same issue with any other laundry? Have you tried washing a different load?

Is this the first time you have washed this bedding?

Do you have the ability to line dry the bedding? It may help you figure out whether the issue is in drying or the washing.

What type of washer are you using? Have you cleaned it recently?

What type of bedding are you trying to wash? Have you looked at the possibility of over filling the washer so that the surface may smell clean but any filler may not be? Is the dryer getting them dry before they sour? Are they balling up in the dryer and not getting properly dry? Are they getting fully dry or are they still damp and allowed to sit for a couple of hours?

Oct 9, 2014, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Over the years I have found that sometimes the perfumes in detergents can overpower the bad smell while the fabric is wet. Once dry the detergent smell isn't as powerful.

Are you having the same issue with any other laundry? Have you tried washing a different load? No other loads. Have not had the time but nothing smelled before this and have cleaned the washer with bleach

Is this the first time you have washed this bedding? No

Do you have the ability to line dry the bedding? It may help you figure out whether the issue is in drying or the washing. No way to line dry it where I live

What type of washer are you using? Have you cleaned it recently? Top load and yes just this week

What type of bedding are you trying to wash? Sheets and blankets no fillers Have you looked at the possibility of over filling the washer so that the surface may smell clean but any filler may not be? No Filler Is the dryer getting them dry before they sour? We have to drive to dry them but they do not have a soar smell and have had other loads done like this before and no smell. Are they balling up in the dryer and not getting properly dry? No ball Are they getting fully dry or are they still damp and allowed to sit for a couple of hours?
    Fully dry

Oct 9, 2014, 05:13 PM
    The smell cant becoming from the dryer; with the amount of heat in the dryer, it would kill any bacteria around and the smell it creates.

Do you have a dog ?
    Not a dog smell. They did not smell till I dried them
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2014, 02:08 AM
    If anyone sleeps in the nude, or it's pillow cases, it is sweat that will only come out with bleach. The dryer sets the smell and that makes it even more difficult to get out. That's one reason why I don't use my dryer.
    If you can get old fashioned borax, try that. I see it for sale on amazon. It is related to baking soda.
    A cup of baking soda as suggested might work.
    But bleach is the best, and if it's set in enough, even that won't work.

Oct 22, 2014, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    If anyone sleeps in the nude, or it's pillow cases, it is sweat that will only come out with bleach. The dryer sets the smell and that makes it even more difficult to get out. That's one reason why I don't use my dryer.
    If you can get old fashioned borax, try that. I see it for sale on amazon. It is related to baking soda.
    A cup of baking soda as suggested might work.
    Tried baking soda didd not work
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 02:21 AM
    Does this happen to any of your other laundry? Do you notice it before or after you put the bedding on the bed?

Oct 22, 2014, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Does this happen to any of your other laundry? Do you notice it before or after you put the bedding on the bed?
    No and it smelled clean out of the washer but then when dried the smell was there
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 02:28 AM
    Might be time for new bedding.

Oct 22, 2014, 02:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by j_9 View Post
    might be time for new bedding.
    cannotafford no bedding
    mp
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 02:39 AM
    But you can afford a cryptic gift? My bedding is more important than a gift. Buy a card rather than a gift and get new bedding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a new home. The laundry sink has a funny set up. Currently there are 2 taps and a spout into the sink. The hot tap is normal. The cold tap has an additional knob and has a washing machine spout. The tap plumbing is all in the walls. I want to get to a set up where I can have both hot...

Build a laundry lint filter (laundry tub version) [ 1 Answers ]

The Posting question method needs help. When you select advanced posting options, your original text gets clobbered. Also, if your not logged in and post a question, your composed response gets clobbered. Some background: The laundry sink backed up and the clog was rather nasty. The washer...

Laundry question [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a denim (jean) jacket for my husband. I've been trying to soften it and so far I've washed (and dried) it repeatedly, washed it in salt, washed it in vinegar, washed it in ammonia, washed it in fabric detergent. Short of beating it with rocks does anyone have any ideas? It could...

Laundry room [ 1 Answers ]

OK so having my base meant done they un hooked things mostly to where the water goes. Soooo I was wondering can I cap and do my laundery and everything else or let it be for the time being or what. The bathroom and laundry room are being hooked together. And it is leaking from the sink. And I am...

Laundry services [ 4 Answers ]

Ladies would u do a laundry service for other people if u got paid for it

View more questions Search