Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2014, 12:13 PM
    Phishing scam
    I just received a call on my answering machine claiming to be from the IRS and threatening legal action. Asking me to call them at 818-745-2026 so they can "help me". Out of curiosity I called and the person who picked up had an Indian accent (like the one who left the message). He claimed I owed the IRS money. I told him I didn't believe him at which point he threatened criminal action. I hung up and reported it to the IRS.

Just wanted to warn other people. The IRS would not contact you this way.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2014, 12:17 PM
    Bet they would have helped you all right, helped part you from your money. Thanks for the heads' up!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2014, 12:58 PM
    On this page there is a recording of a call to this number. Pretty cool website!

WallyH
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2014, 01:04 PM
    There have been much worse phone scams for supposed IRS collectors.

Last year, a much more sophisticated scam had the caller ID show the caller to be an IRS agent. They then got a follow-up call from someone whom the caller ID said was from the local police department.

That scam targeted foreign nationals who live and work in the U.S. and was moderately successful.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 7, 2014, 06:14 PM
    That's not far from where I live. I wish I could find out the address... and send the police.
    terrichaffin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
    While trolling the scammers can be fun, it's not such a good idea. It might only make them call you more out of spite. But thanks for sharing the scammer phone number! Others can add the number to their block list in advance so the scammers never get a chance to call.

Found a complaint on the phone number at https://www.callercenter.com/818-745-2026.html associating the caller to phony calls. Can the authorities look into it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phishing scam ? [ 4 Answers ]

:mad: I received a threatening phone call from what sounded like a Phishing scam, I have the number, is there a free way to track down who called, and how I can help other people from falling victim to this apparent scam. The caller had an auto dialer that prompted me to wait on hold because,...

Phishing Filter [ 6 Answers ]

When it takes IE while to load a web page, it seems that a "Phishing Filter" I have at the bottom of my screen is working (green line back and forth). Is it likely that it is the filter that is slowing the browser, or is the page itself slow for reasons unconnected with the filter? If it's the...

Phishing [ 3 Answers ]

This is quite a serious issue that everyone should be fully aware of. What is Phishing ? Well basically it's a scam designed to steal sensitive personal information. Read Here for more information These type of "attacks" tend to come form addresses that you could almost trust with subjects...

View more questions Search