Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Hunidifier, use softened water or not?
    The house I bought has a 49FH carrier model humidifier, which I would like to replace some time in the near future. When this one was installed they tapped the water line closer to the main connection before the water softener, is there any reason why they would do this?

It looks like the hard water, and iron clogged the filter at the little pump on top of the carrier and then burned the pump up, the filter in the humidifier was also showing signs of never being changed, full of crud and sediment.

When I replace this, if it is better not to use softened water I am going to put an in line filter before the softner and place the line feed to the humidifier here to keep sediment to a minium, unless of course everyone suggets that you can connect it after the softener with no problems.

I would guess after the softner would be fine, but I don't know, any takes on this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2005, 10:55 AM
    A water softener replaces iron and calcium salts with common sodium chloride. If you use softened water, you will still get mineral deposits, but may have better luck washing them off. You might look at one of the small deionizers or reverse osmosis units. I am thinking the ones meant to go at the kitchen sink might be big enough to supply the humidifier with mineral free water. You could go to a whole house system in place of the softener too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

AC Water Pump not sending water through tubing [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a ranch house with no basement. We have a forced air/central air conditioning system. There is a pump that is suppose to pump the water through a plastic tubing in to our laundry tub. The water does have to go up to the ceiling of the room and across a wall and then down into our...

View more questions Search