Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josh3012 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2014, 09:34 AM
    Help USB / Hard Drive is not recognize!
    DEAR EXPERTS, EMERGENCY HELP!

I have tons of works in this hard disk. Windows keep saying the device is not recognize.

The pop message is

"The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

Recommendation

Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly."

Now I already try many solutions like try reconnect using other ports, uninstalling all usb root in device manager and restart but nothing is working. Is it the end? Should I just give up? Will it fix if I pay to services? Should I just format it? MOST IMPORTANTLY COULD I STILL SAVE MY DATA IN MY HARD DRIVE? T.T
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM
    If you format it then kiss any data on it good-bye. You might take difficult to recover data and make it impossible to recover data.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2014, 04:57 AM
    If it were mine, I would remove the drive from the USB enclosure and try hooking it directly to a computer. The chance of success here is dependent on the brand of the backup unit. The rationale here is that perhaps the USB circuitry is what is bad and not the data on the drive itself.

If you can connect the drive to a computer and Windows recognizes it, I'd buy another backup unit and copy all the data from the old drive to the backup. If, on the other hand, Windows does not recognize the drive, you're probably out of luck. As smoothy said, formatting the drive will guarantee your data is gone.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 7, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Have you tried a new cable? It may just be a bad cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My usb connected hard drive does not appear in [ 1 Answers ]

"WD" hard drive... made bt western digital

My computer does not recognize new hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new external multimedia hard drive and my computer does not recognize it. I am using Windows XP. It appears on the task bar but the only option there is "safely remove device". I tried the suggestions offered to right click on "my computer" - go to computer management and there it is - it...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

USB Hard drive [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Im trying to connect a usb hard drive and not having any luck, my computer is not reading the drive. What do I do?:confused:

Computer does not recognize hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a big problem. Suddenly my bios does not recognize my harddisk anymore. Setup says it is not installed. I've checked the cables, they seem OK. I'm afraid to have lost all my data/harddrive. Does anyone knows what may be the problem? Thanks.

View more questions Search