Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homegrown321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2014, 09:14 PM
    New shower grout is wet, contractor says weep holes are not needed, it is the grout
    We recently had our bathroom shower redone and are noticing that the grout On the floor does not dry out. It takes over a week for the grout to dry. We have sealed the floor several times. Is it possible that the grout is defective or is it a drainage problem? Are weep holes around the drain industry standard or is it acceptable to install a shower with no weep holes around the drain?

If weep holes were not used around the drain and they need to be, what does the contractor need to do, remove the tile around the drain and redo that section or does the whole floor need to be redone?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2014, 05:21 AM
    I am amazed that you contractor told you that weep holes were not needed. Where did he think the water they got under the tiles would drain out to?
    Ever flange type shower drain has weep holes. What usually happens is that the tile man does not protect them and they fill up with tile grout and block drainage.
    The solution would be to call your tile man back and have him taken up the floor, clear the weep holes, and retile the shower floor. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 2, 2014, 06:43 AM
    I'd sue him and hire another contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weep holes in new shower [ 2 Answers ]

There are weep holes where the top of the acrylic shower pan meets the tiled wall. These holes weep a rust-colored substance every time the shower is used and always look dirty. The contractor says the rust color comes from the back of the ceramic tile and is normal. The outside of the glazed tile...

Wet Shower grout [ 5 Answers ]

I had some grout in my shower come out/ I used a Dremel and carbide tip and got the remaining grout out. I put new grout in two days ago and it is still wet and the tile has condensation on it! Any ideas?

Wet grout in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I have just re grouted an area in my kitchen. It looks good BUT the area near the taps keeps getting wet and looks much darker. Should I be doing something extra to keep the grout white in this area? Rest of the grouting looks fine, presumably because it is dry.

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

View more questions Search