Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stanjones78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2014, 11:15 PM
    Can I receive funds from disability 401k hardship to repair my home if not disable.
    My central heating and air unit went out I've used my financial hardship to help purchase my home I was wondering can I use my 401k disability withdrawal to purchase another unit when I'm not disable
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2014, 04:21 AM
    Are you still working for the firm that holds your 401(k)? How old are you? Are you actually disabled? There is no such thing as a disability withdrawal from a 401(k). You are allowed to withdraw, but with penalties under certain conditions. Home repairs, however are not usually an acceptable condition.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 1, 2014, 01:07 PM
    You may take a penalty-free withdrawal from your 401(k) if you are permanently and totally disabled. It would require certification from your doctor of your disability, and of course you must be unable to work. If you are not permanently and totally disabled, then no, you can't claim that you are. It would be better to use your plan's loan feature, if it has one - you can borrow up to 50% of the value in your 401(k) without penalty and without having to pay income taxes on it. In general it's much wiser to take a loan from your 401(k) while still working as opposed to a withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401k at work. It only has $1,100 in it and has been idle for a few years. I wanted to get a hardship loan to fix my vehicle but my employer tells me I do not qualify for financial need that my vehicle is personal. Im not putting new flashy rims on it my tranny is going out and I have a...

Disability, 401k withdrawl and home purchase [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am permanently disabled, 52, and on disability retirement from the USPS. I have a little over $100000 in my 401k that I would like to use to purchase a home for cash. I know that I will not have to pay the 10% penalty due to my disability but I have three Other questions. 1) Will I lose my...

401K Hardship and Disability Question [ 2 Answers ]

In 2007 I lost my job after 20 years due to kidney failure and complications. Since we could not afford to be without my income, I cashed out my 401K to pay off my home and a credit card. I was awarded permanent disability in 2010. When I cashed out my 401K they would not let me claim a hardship,...

On disability need 401k will disability be lessened if we need to buy primary residen [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on state disability filing for social security disability,need to request my 401k (and pay 20% TAXES)to purchase a primary residence (loosing home ,like to buy larger size boat to live on) will I be fined or penilized for this (as if this were a income)its hard enough to live on disability as...

View more questions Search