Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midnight_Angel Posts: 79, Reputation: 3

Apr 7, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Ear Mites
    I guess my cat has had ear mites (a brownish ear build up) for a little bit now and it didnt look too bad but I started giving her drops last week for it and it almost seems grosser. Is that it being all cleared out or should I clean her ears? Does it get worse before getting better?
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Angel
    I guess my cat has had ear mites (a brownish ear build up) for a little bit now and it didnt look too bad but I started giving her drops last week for it and it almost seems grosser. Is that it being all cleared out or should I clean her ears? Does it get worse before getting better?
    From what I remember this is called canker and is a problem to take to the vet. Take care, love and peace anne x
    jdkid75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Yes, that sounds just like what my cat has right now. I have been taking him to the vet, as you just want to double check that is what is causing the problem. I've been using a cleaning solution rather than one for ear mites. Apparently these just seem to drown the mites, not that scientific really. I use a gentle cleaner in the cats ear then gently wipe with cotton wool. Don't stick anything down there, it could cause them more damage. Cheers Jo :)
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Wax build up does not necessarily mean ear mites. Did you get the drops from a vet? Over the counter stuff will not work if it IS ear mites-only a prescription will. Ears may be goopy because the product you are using is not getting cleaned out properly and does not contain a drying agent. See they vet for proper analysis.
    mkayhunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Angel
    I found gently cleaning the ears with a q-tip every day for the first week or so in addition to the drops was the best way to get rid of the mites. Put the drops in after cleaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My kitten has worms/ear mites [ 6 Answers ]

:-/ Hi! I have an 8 week old female kitten who was born in a rabbit barn (so I was told). When we went to pick her up I noticed her brother and an older cat were absolutely ravenous. I brought in 3 packets of the kitten food I bought for (now named) my Lacey. They went crazy trying to get at...

Red itchy ears but not ear mites [ 4 Answers ]

I have a red bone coon/ grey hound pup. I have taken her to the vet and got medicine but it did not help at all. My pup has a left red itchy ear but it is not ear mites. He gave me a medicine for yeast and infection but it is not working. Has any one ever had this problem? Please help before I...

Do my cats have ear mites [ 1 Answers ]

I have many cats they have hard black dirt in there ears. I clean what I can with cotton and babyoil. What else can I use. Is this ear mites.

Ear mites [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Our lab is itching his left ear quite a bit and shakes his head. There is a slight odor and there is debris in both ears. I called the vet and she said that it could be ear mites. How can we check for this? Is there anything that we could do for him from home or should we take him to the...

My kitty has mites and now I do [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a himilayan kitten. When I got home I looked him over he was bold all on his tummy,back legs and a little bit of the front legs I also found out a few days later he has mites I am pretty sure they are ear mites because his ears are full of black so I started treting him with...

View more questions Search