Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bolivia41 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2014, 11:32 AM
    Not liking College Baseball : What to do?
    Right now I am at a Division 1 baseball school. Coming out of high school I thought I would love it. But now that I am doing it and going to school it is just too much for me. My mom says to give it a FULL year, but I don't know if I can survive that much longer. I might want to be done and go to a smaller school but I don't know if my mom will let me... What should I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2014, 11:41 AM
    Are you attending under a Baseball Scholarship?

Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 AM
    Yes, part
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2014, 11:51 AM
    Money is probibly playing a huge factor in your moms decision. The partial scholarship is paying a large portion of your college tuition. She might not be able to afford you losing that to go to another school.

Sep 29, 2014, 11:57 AM
    What if I were to get another type of scholarship from a smaller school? I told her that too... she still wants me to do the whole year. When I wouldn't STOP playing baseball I would just go to a less serious type baseball school. Where I have summers off, time in the fall off, and just baseball season during baseball season.

Sep 29, 2014, 12:07 PM
    I just don't know why she's insisting on me finishing it so bad... when I strongly dislike it right now.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Why? Because it means the difference between you attending college at all and not attending at all most likely.

Also... you aren't going to be playing ball your entire life. The point is to get an education while you are there... playing ball just fascilitates that. Many Athletes forget that point. THe education IF you get one will carry you through life....if you are there ONLY to play ball, and playing ball is your life....you are one injury from it all going away forever. THe education nobody can take away.

In life you will have to do many things you do not enjoy... many you will outright hate... but you do it because its in your best interest to do it.

Did I like collge?. no, I hated it... but I stuck it out becauseI had a lot of money tied up in it and it would all be wasted if I quit. And I would still owe all of it to the bank anyway. Sure you can TRY to get another scholarship... but scholarships are not easy to get, and you might not get another. Most people that try by applying for many, and the lucky ones get at least one. Most people get nothing.

What do you hate, why do you hate it? Keep in mind, few people ever get jobs they truly enjoy... they are lucky to get a job they can tolerate being at. Many people end up in jobs they truly hate... but they need them to pay the rent and bills. I've been working for 33 years... I've had jobs that fit all three of those descriptions.

The rest of your life will be like that. View College in the same light. Only College will be over much quicker.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bolivia41 View Post
    Right now I am at a Division 1 baseball school. Coming out of high school I thought I would love it. But now that I am doing it and going to school it is just too much for me. My mom says to give it a FULL year, but I don't know if I can survive that much longer. I might want to be done and go to a smaller school but I don't know if my mom will let me... What should I do?
    Did you hound her to death to help you get into this school? And now it's not looking so good? Doesn't baseball slow down and end, or is this a year-round thing at this school?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 29, 2014, 01:41 PM
    A 'less serious' baseball school sounds like a myth to me.
    Is this something you really know about, or are just guessing?
    I can't harangue you, because I dropped out of my freshman year on a full academic scholarship. I can't really blame it on the 60s either.
    I can tell you that I drifted from one low paying job to the next for the next 50 years, eventually becoming self employed when I was around 40. 50 years! Think about it. If I didn't inherit a little money from my dad 2 years ago, I'd be living on SS and food stamps, even though I managed to get into real estate and own my own home.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2014, 05:00 PM
    I agree with your mom. College is really a very hard adjustment and I think there is value in just working through it. As you become acclimated to the change, it becomes easier. There is benefit to using campus resources - study and writing help, counseling, resident advisors...

If you are still unhappy midway through second semester, transfer for next year. Then you will always know you gave it a good shot.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Both of my boys attended universities out of state on academic and football scholarships. Both wanted to come home a number of times. We went often and dealt with the homesickness. We also flew them each home for every holiday, which isn't cheap. Son #1 got over wanting to come home after year one. Son #2 was miserable for 2 years. They both stuck it out and enjoyed every minute of school and sports once they decided they were staying. My question for you is are you playing baseball on the team? Most coaches won't use a player who is deciding to quit. Another question: Is there a girl at home you want to return to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liking someone [ 5 Answers ]

I been wondering is it OK to date a 14 year who likes you very much and your like 18 and that you like her so much anyway m,y question is is it OK to date a 14 year old even if your 18

Liking someone you're not sure about [ 2 Answers ]

One of my guy friends was a little drunk the other day, but told me he liked me. I don't know if it was actually the truth or just the alcohol (doesn't a persons true personality show when they drink?) but I didn't really respond to him. Mainly because I didn't know what to say. I sort of like him,...

Liking someone [ 2 Answers ]

If a guy likes a girl and she likes him back, what are some reasons he may not ask he out or on a date? If they talk a lot on the phone everyday?

What to do for him to stop liking her and start liking me [ 2 Answers ]

I really like this guy but I don't think he likes me as much. At first I thought he did cause he would let me play with his hair and told me he doesn't let anybody play with his hair the way that he lets me and all sorts of little things like that , that I would catch on to and the thing is that I...

Vintage baseball cards; Set of 1986 baseball cards [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I go to find out about selling my baseball cards?

View more questions Search