Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CLARENCE718 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM
    Can you really be best friends with the opposite sex?
    Of course someone is going to catch feelings over time but what do you do when they have a boyfriend but still get jealous and mad when you talk to other girls? Should you go through more problems than her boyfriend if certain things you do get her mad that he does all the time? I really want to know
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 10:59 AM
    Yes, you can.

You have to remind her that she's not dating you. If she gets more jealous then drop her as a friend. This is really a gender specific thing also. She sees herself as your older sibling and is looking out for you, but isn't really putting it out there as well as she could. Take it at that and talk to her about her jealously issues. You shouldn't go through more problems for doing stuff that her boyfriend gets away with.

It really sounds like she's in an emotional relationship with you and trying to be in a romantic relationship with another fellow. How much is this friendship worth? That is your deciding factor. This person is feeling like she's high maintenance and that it is getting a little too high maintenance.
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

Oct 1, 2014, 11:25 AM
    It's easy to fall into the trap of making yourself available for someone who isn't. Any relationship, even a friendship, should be based on mutual needs and respect.

My advice is that you take some time to analyze what YOU are getting out of this friendship. Also look deeply inside yourself and ask if you are trying to prove yourself against her current boyfriend.

It's natural to try to measure yourself against others sometimes, but you need to find your own self-worth first. You may be more emotionally dependent on this woman than you realize, especially if you're trying to spark something more than a friendship with her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2014, 04:56 PM
    Of course you can,

But, you don't develop feelings like a boyfriend and girlfrind, and you are not jealous.

If that is happening, there is more than being best friends.
    You can be best friends, exactly like same sex friends,
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 01:42 PM
    When friends cross the lines of good behavior you tell them, and if they refuse to listen, you dump them as a friend.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 02:24 PM
    I would not generalize everyone. It will still be a case to case depending on the two people involved. Of course it is possible if the two people involved are on the same page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opposite sex friends in a marriage [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hoping you might provide some more perspective going a little deeper on an issue I'm struggling with personally. A month ago I read our cell phone bill and noticed my wife of 20 years is texting 3 different men at least 100 times per month each or more, plus very long phone calls, even...

Friends with opposite sex outside marriage [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I recently stumbled on text messages between my wife and a family friend - it was mostly inane conversation, but was peppered by a lot of 'love you, miss you, my friend' type of messages. There were also a whole lot of conversations in a limited period. When I asked my wife this, she said...

Should I meet her? Can opposite sex be platonic friends? [ 5 Answers ]

Last year, I fell in love with this girl and confessed to her. However, at that same time, she already had someone else in mind. We still went out very often and could talk for hours. I just felt that she was the one and had the feeling that I could actually die for her. It was that strong. One...

How to deal with opposite sex friends [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody!. well my boyfriend and I are going for our 2nd year this may... I'm so excited! I love him to death! I wanted to ask this question because I just need some examples and help with my situation.. well my boyfriend and I have a great relationship.. we get along great. We cn...

Opposite Sex Friends - When things get confusing [ 10 Answers ]

We all have opposite sex friends - well at least the mature ones among us. It is often helpful and rewarding to get points of view from the opposite sex and from someone other than the person you are seeing. And the comfort of talking with an old friend who really knows you well and understands...

View more questions Search