Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schelbk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2014, 07:47 AM
    Disruptive behavior of an 8 year old
    My son is 8 years old and at least twice a day he becomes very mean and verbally abusive. He says he is going to kill himself and other members of the family, usually me. I have tried being very nice and telling him that is unacceptable. I have taken away some of his favorite things, computer games, etc. And I have actually spanked him. Although this has only happened twice. He is a perfect angel at school.
    This morning he grabbed a pair of scissors and said he was going to kill me in my sleep tonight.
    My question is what should be my next step. Can't do this much longer.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2014, 11:43 AM
    Visit to the psychologist?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 11:47 AM
    I think it is time to maybe not try being so nice. It seems clear that he has no respect for you. I would say he doesn't have a mental issue since he is fine when he is not with you so it seems like it is more directed at you. He gets angry, knows you are a pushover, and he runs with it...he knows he can threaten you, he knows he can disrespect you. Maybe try showing him that you, the parent, are in control and not him.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 03:21 PM
    Limit his TV viewing; or monitor what he watches. Sounds to me that he is watching horror movies. There are additives to put on your TV that will monitor for you.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2014, 04:56 PM
    How does the rest of the family act? Is there violence between family members? Do other people have angry outbursts? Yell and scream? Insult each other?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 05:53 PM
    What is he like at school? What has the teacher told you? I'd call my pediatrician and get an appointment right away. Hopefully, you will receive a referral to a good psychiatrist or psychologist.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 05:59 PM
    I agree with TJ, I'd talk to his teacher, and then book an appointment with your doctor, go from there.

Children can get upset and have tantrums, they all do. But it's not normal for a child to threaten their parents or family members with scissors, or threaten to kill them. Either he's learned this somewhere, there's a lot of violence in the home and he's emulating it, or there's something else going on in his head that you can't understand or see in or order to fix.
    Kresaera Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2014, 11:31 AM
    I agree with everyone else, talk to his teacher. This seems to be aimed only at the immediately family and mostly at you. He needs to see there are consequences to those behaviors and they won't be tolerated. Call his pediatrician and make an appointment for you to talk to him/her about your son's behavior. Cut out all violence he may be exposed to, TV, video games (and I am so not saying violent video games create violent children) etc. and set boundaries and follow through. I would also remove all sharp objects from his reach and hide anything that could be used as a weapon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 8 year old is disruptive at home [ 1 Answers ]

He quickly loses his temper, often over very simple things, which soon escalate into a full blown temper tantrum. He is on medication at night for a sleep disorder. This is sometimes the start of the problem, when it's time to take the tablets he will start messing about and screaming an...

Sexual behavior in a 5 year old [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday my 5 year old had a play date over, a boy same age as my son, they were playing in his play room. I noticed that it became quiet. Immediately I went to check on the boys. When I came around the corner I heard my son say "lets pretend were having sex". I walked into the room and saw my son...

Two year old with violent behavior [ 6 Answers ]

I have a two year old, she's my first child... Every time she is doing something wrong, and I tell her no or please stop she continues doing it. This happens all the time, time out hardly works for me. Also, when she doesn't get her way, she hits, she pinches, she throws things, she bites, she...

Disruptive 8 year old [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old son who is starting to be disruptive at home. He is the baby of 5 children. He is being very disruptive and is not listening, he says mean things to his and is physically fighting with his 11 year old brother. When he speaks to me or his father he acts like he is 2 years old....

SS disruptive behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys... I have tried everything nothing and I mean NOTHING will work. My stepson whom is 10 absolutely hates me, I am at the end with him. He will do nothing I ask him to do. When his dad gets him he stays right under his dad. I have set bed time rules shower time rules and none of this works....

View more questions Search