Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Sep 26, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Social Security Disability Benefits Problem/Questions
    My pharmacy told me I no longer had medicare and so I called Social Security and was giving this smack in the face: My SSDI stopped. Reason?: They were not told I stopped working.

1, I told them I stopped working the same day I told them I became homeless in July 2013. It was because of this that they tacked on SSI.

2, Even if I still was working, I was never making enough to lose my SSDI which is the reason why I still was receiving benefits.

I am a borderline homeless college student who is going to try to get to the social security office AND not miss any school which means I have a few anxiety ridden days trying to figure out how I am going to pay for my bills and get a place to live with no more money (other than my already spent financial aid). Hopefully someone on here can ease my mind a bit?

I hung up the phone a tad immaturely. I was told that I should appeal because I didn't get a letter and because I am not working (which is the problem apparently). SS is closed now so I cant talk to someone again but I wanted to know why working was even an issue now anyway. It is ironic that after being jobless, homeless, and trying to get through a full time college schedule, that now my "working" would be a problem, after 3 years.

I stopped working in July 2013. My My Social Security account summary page online still says I am fine, but my verification letter is sort of cryptic as usual:

"Benefit were stopped" in August 2011 and then a few lines later: "beginning December 2013, the full monthly Social Security benefit before any deductions is" definitely NOT zero dollars.

Can anyone please put my mind at ease by either telling me I have nothing to worry about or explaining to me what exactly changed?

Thank you so much in advance
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2014, 06:00 PM
    "My pharmacy told me I no longer had Medicare" "I am a borderline homeless college student". Once you have Medicare it doesn't stop. How old are you? You need to be 65 for Medicare.
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Sep 26, 2014, 06:03 PM
    I have medicare part A and B and I have had it since 18... It does stop though, apparently.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 27, 2014, 06:55 AM
    You do not need to be 65 to get Medicare. You can be disabled.
    Or possible the disabled CHILD whose parents are deceased, or other such reasons.
    We don't have enough information and what we have so far makes no sense.
    It's important too to not mix up Medicare with Medicaid and SSDI and SSI (not saying you have).
    There are also countless changes under the Affordable Care Act.

I don't think we can help you much here with such a complicated situation, and you need to get to a SS office in person, or try calling again without hanging up on people. Heck, most of us don't have the option to call them anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Can Alimony affect my Social Security Disability Benefits? [ 3 Answers ]

If I am receiving Social Security Disability benefits would my receiving Alimony affect my Social Security Benefits?

What questions does Social Security ask my employer to determine disability backpay? [ 1 Answers ]

What questions does Social Security ask my employer? They have sent them a letter. I assume it is to determine backpay and confirm inability to work?

Can social security disability benefits be garnished by out of state court?judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I reside in Florida, and may be sued by default from a plaintiff/court in Tennessee. Can the plaintiff or out-of-state court garnish my social security disability benefits?

Social Security Disability Benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that if I earn a certain amount above proverty level my disabled daughter can lose her social security benefits? She is about to start school and am a single parent about to get a promotion which means more money and would like to know how this may affect my disabled daughter's social...

View more questions Search