Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssevume Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2014, 05:53 AM
    Reduction of concrete strength due to embedded pvc pipes
    What would be the effects of embedded pvc plumbing pipes to concrete strength? and in any case do you have reports on this research that I may refer to as am carrying out more on the same topic
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2014, 05:57 AM
    It is done all the time in construction. Every slab on grade house has embedded PVC in the concrete. However, your question is a bit vague. Pre cast, post tensioned? Slab on grade, tilt wall? Lots of types of concrete construction.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 24, 2014, 06:16 AM
    You asked this under Grad School. This site isn't a reference library for grad students, although there are plenty of experts in the building trades. You need to research this on concrete sites and schools of architecture, etc., because you need a lot of in-depth information. You could write a whole book just on the nature of concrete, which changes gradually over long periods of time, so you have to be fully informed on that first.

Just off the top of my head I recall reading that concrete becomes more porous for the first 40 years. That implies some shrinkage, and if pipe of any kind is embedded in it, then the pipe is no longer providing support, and thus the concrete does lose some integrity. Then there's the matter of vertical vs horizontal. I'm sure there's more, such as expansion and contraction of PVC.
    This will need a lot of research. We do some for people, but not whole topics for school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have PEX embedded in concrete... how do I locate the tubes? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a radiant PEX tube heating system in my garage floor. Since I didn't mark them when it was poured, is there a way I can first locate and then safely drill into the floor to place expansion bolts for a car lift?

How can I install pvc pipes in a concrete slab? [ 13 Answers ]

I want to cut a 30mm deep channel (about 300mm long) into a 120mm thick concrete slab. Can I do this without compromising the structural integrity of the slab? The slab is elevated, It is in the laundry and is about 50mm from three of the room's walls. Thanks.

Cooling concrete with embedded pipes [ 0 Answers ]

By using embedded pipes for cooling concrete in 4 meter thick raft how much flaw of water I need for one m3 at delta T. for concrete is 15 degree centegrad

Concrete Strength [ 1 Answers ]

Does fast drying concrete (the type that sets up in 10 min.) effect the strength and durability of the concrete?

How to Connect PVC to Concrete in Sewer Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am experiencing slow drainage in my main sewer and a plummer told me there are roots in the system. I dug a trench to locate the main sewer, which I found. It consists of 2 feet of 4" cast iron pipe that is then connected to concrete like pipes that are about 5.5 inches thick in...

View more questions Search