Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kawi4me86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2014, 01:44 PM
    Air pocket in toilet bowl when flushed
    I am purchasing a home and an inspection was performed. Built in 2006. Cpvc supply lines and PVC drain and vent lines. Both toilets in the home have an air pocket when the toilet is flushed, however otherwise they operate normally. A plumber came out and snaked the drains and clean outs and there were no obstructions. The plumber stated on his report that the bubbling could be caused by an air tube at the water closet p traps. Does this sound correct?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 23, 2014, 02:04 PM
    air pocket when the toilet is flushed
    There is no such thing.

an air tube at the water closet p traps..
    There is no such thing.

If toilets are bubbling when flushed, that would be caused by a blockage or partial blockage in the drain line. Water flowing down the pipe is forcing the air in the pipe back up through the pipe and the toilet bowel. Plumber didn't snake far enough or didn't clear the blockage.

If toilet is gurgling (like a coke bottle turned up side down) the vent pipe is blocked.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Air tubes in the bowls P-trap? First time I've heard that one. For what porpoise? A much more logical explanation would would be that he missed the partial blockage that's causing the blowback causing your bubbles of sewer gas. Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? Back to you, Tom

Sep 23, 2014, 04:23 PM
    It's on septic. It has already been inspected and pumped. No issues. It's just one bubble once it is flushed. Could it be a defect with the toilets?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2014, 04:41 PM
    flushed. Could it be a defect with the toilets?
    I would be happy with that if only you hadn't told me that BOTH toilets were blowing bubbles at you.
    Let me explain about blowbacks. [SIZE=2] When a toilet flushes the water rushing down the pipe sets up a vacume in the system. This vacume is relieved by leting air in from the outside. Hence the vent. You should not feel any pressure coming out of the vent at all. This is called "back pressure" and is caused by water and solids hitting a partial blockage, stopping and backing uo sending a wave of air back up the vent. Then since the passage isn't completly blocked it drains away. Now this doesn't necessarily have to be in your system. A partial blockage in the city main could cause back pressure during peak load periods. This however would affect your neighbors as well. Drainage systems are designed so air flows one way, out. It's possible that the contractor that tied your sewer to the main left you with backfall or a blockage at the city raiser, (the connection from your sewer to the main.) I would call the city to see if there has been any other complaints. If not I would call my contractor back and tell him your problem. Back pressure is not normal in a drainage system and don't let anybody tell you that it is. If it started when he ran the new sewer line then somewhere along the line he set up a back pressure problem. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.
    [/SIZE]

Sep 23, 2014, 04:44 PM
    This home is on septic and well. So no city sewer or municipal water supply. And also, I have never heard if an air vent in the water closet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my toilet let out an air bubble when flushed? [ 2 Answers ]

Both of the bathroom toilets let out an air bubble when flushed and the water sometimes splashes outside the rim. I air bubble is rather large. But they do flush.

Toilet bowl fills quickly when flushed and doesn't hold water? [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Our toilet is at least 15 yrs old - maybe much older. Several months ago, it developed a slow leak around the base. My husband replaced the seal (twice) but it continues to have a slow, small leak. No signs of a crack or other issues... a small towel around the base has temporarily worked....

Toilet sounds like it is blowing air when flushed. [ 1 Answers ]

As you flush the toilet, it sounds as if it is a balloon losing air. It seems to be flushing properly. After a while, the sound stops. This started as a once in a while occurrence and now happens every time you flush. What cuases this sound and is it an easy fix?

Clicking noise in the pipe after I flushed my toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

There is clicking noise in the pipe after I flushed my toilet bowl. The clicking sounds like a creaking door. It is rapid at first and then it slows down to a stop. Seems to be coming from within the walls, but can't pinpoint where. This is happening even in summer. I just hope it isn't like the...

Air exploads out when toilet flushed [ 7 Answers ]

Our old toilet would not fill up the bowl after flush. Had to pour water into bowl to keep water from exploding out when flushed. Housed out air pipe on roof. No help. Purchesed a new fast flush toiled and it is doing the same thing. Poured about 4 gallons of water down toilet 5 times. Flushed...

View more questions Search