Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmendenhall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2014, 12:03 PM
    I am property manager. My boss never told me about the drugs and parties and how diff
    I am property manager. My boss never told me about the drugsand parties and how difficult this property would be to manage and I live onsite. I have evidence to support that when she managed the property sheparticipated in the illegal activity in which she gave students alcohol. And setthe tone for all the negative behavior. This property is advertised as studenthousing but anyone who qualifies can reside. It's a liability mess to say theleast. I have had threats from residents when I enforce community rules andcall the police when I see illegal activity. I have expressed my fear to myboss several times and asked for security. I have even expressed my fear in ane-mail. I called the police yesterday because someone tried to come over thedesk after me after sending the letter that a fine will be assessed to theiraccount for loud music and smoking pot in their apartment. I called the policeand the offender cannot come back on the property. This is just one of many incidentsthat occur on a daily basis. My boss told me to call the police if I don't feelsafe. She also said stop being afraid and don't let the residents see the fearthey can smell it. I have asked for security and she does not comment. Do Ihave a case if they fire me because I keep speaking up that I need support? Residents on the property would like thesecurity due to the parties and drugs. What do I do? I really need my job but Ifeel like she is going to fire me because I am asking for help. I can tell sheis upset with me but I am truly afraid for my safety and don't know where toturn.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2014, 03:26 PM
    A case for what? Depending on where you live (any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area), you are probably in an "at will" state that means you can be terminated for anything. There may be whistleblower laws by that may not apply.

You should suggest terminating the lease of anyone breaking the law. Most leases have a clause prohibiting tenants from illegal activities.

I'm not sure what help you are asking for.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 20, 2014, 03:44 PM
    'Do Ihave a case if they fire me because I keep speaking up that I need support?'

No, you have none AT ALL, and your only option, if you can't handle the job, is to quit and move out. I would, regardless of how much you need the job.
    If you stay, put something in writing to the property OWNER, if it is someone other than the woman you call your boss, saying exactly how, why, and when you fear for your safety.
    That's just in case someone decides to sue you. You aren't likely to be liable for anything, but it is good to have that in writing anyway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2014, 06:01 AM
    No, you do not have a case for anything

There is no requirement that there be security, and what do you think, security will do, stay beside you all day?

Most security, if they have it, works evenings or nights, and if often part time.
    Most security, merely calls the police when they see something.

This sounds like normal either "low rent" or more "college age" housing. It does not matter, in future what boss did, or did not do there.

Apartment managers, are harassed often, and most have to get a hard skin, to be used to it
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 21, 2014, 09:11 AM
    If you feel physically threatened, there are many self defense alternatives. Joining a gym, taking martial arts classes, purchasing and learning how to use various self defense devices from whistles to lights to pepper spray to firearms are all options. Your employment agreement and local laws will determine which are available. Above your personal safety, how can you even be reprimanded for enforcing the property rules? If your requests are looked on as being unable to handle the job, your employment may be in jeopardy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In NYC, how do I put my name on the condo property deed with hers? All parties [ 1 Answers ]

All parties are in agreement and want to take advantage of the maximum federal tax benefits when we sell to downsize in our retirement.

Property manager [ 7 Answers ]

I have leased a property that verbally did not included the garage as the owner is using it for storage as the owner is traveling for awhile the tenant signed a lease but had a verbal agreement with owner that the owner would come backed periodically to check on his garage which is detached from...

Boss told me to get mental therapy [ 4 Answers ]

During a discussion with my boss about multiple projects and deadlines, she said that I looked stressed and should use the company EAP program to get therapy. Can she say that? It wasn't in an informal setting. It was a closed door, in her office meeting with me.

When a property in California is owned jointly, 50/50 by two parties, is it true that [ 3 Answers ]

When a property in California is owned jointly, 50/50 by two parties, is it true that party "A" can force party "B" to sell it, even if party "B" doesn't want to? Thanks in advance... Chris

Is there a minimum salary that a corporate boss must pay the manager of the business? [ 3 Answers ]

I am the manager of a business that has changed over to a corporation a year ago, and have been manager since it opened just 2 1/2 years ago. I make a salary of $1500 (gross) per month. I made an additional bonus for the first year and a half, but last year he decided he didn't want to pay them...

View more questions Search