Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Veronak Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2014, 04:28 PM
    Qualifying Event
    I'd like to cancel my health insurance and my employer is stating that to do so I must have a qualifying event. Now I've heard of having a qualifying event if I wanted to enroll during a period other than open enrollment but never to terminate coverage.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2014, 05:20 PM
    You MUST have a spouse that became elligible for coverage at a different employer and you WILL have to provide proof it has been signed up for before they will allow it. But they aren't going to allow you to simply drop coverage mid year.

Sep 19, 2014, 05:25 PM
    Strange, I contacted my insurance company (twice ) and was told I could terminate at anytime. Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2014, 05:37 PM
    Its Federal law they are all contrained by. you can't come and go as you want easily and they can't change plans or prices mid year either.... they must have had a N00b answering the phones... 7 employers and 33 years working since college... and I have had to make switches mid year before several times so I've been down this road a couple times personally. Because my open enrolement period was 4 months different than my wife's open enrolement period. There was no possible way to switch during both of our open enrollment periods. Going either direction resulted in a mid year change.

Sep 19, 2014, 05:39 PM
    Thanks.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2014, 05:43 PM
    You can drop your coverage during your next open enrollment... until then you can only move to a spouses plan, but not simply drop it mid-year.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2014, 03:06 AM
    I agree, with work plans, normally can not just cancel plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Promote Your Event Ireland a legitimate free event promotion service? [ 3 Answers ]

Is Promote Your Event Ireland a legitimate free event promotion service? ] http://promoteyoureventireland.weebly.com?

PA Liability - who is legally responsible in the event of a malpractice event? [ 4 Answers ]

If a PA is assigned to a patient who suffers harm due to misdiagnosos and/or improper treatment under the PA's care, who is legally responsible for the harm done?

I am looking for a name for an event business .I will have corporate and social event [ 2 Answers ]

Please offer suggestions for a business name for an event business.

View more questions Search