Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 13, 2014, 01:22 PM
    Actually, considering that this thread was started on September 18 (almost a month ago) and the OP said she found out she was 3 months pregnant a few weeks ago when she first started this thread, she's closer to 5 months along at this point.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 13, 2014, 02:31 PM
    If she had not been to a doctor, how did she know she was 3 months pregnant then?
    musiclover217 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2014, 03:14 PM
    I missed my period for three months after I had sex
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2014, 03:33 PM
    When you went to the doctor's recently, did they do an ultrasound?

Oct 13, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Not yet why
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2014, 04:53 PM
    What is your due date?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 13, 2014, 05:26 PM
    If you are as far along as you think and had no prenatal care so far, they will normally do an ultrasound to check how things are going. Make sure the baby is developing properly, to get a better idea as to how far along you are.

Oct 14, 2014, 01:23 PM
    To j _9: on or around march 17. But the doctors here aren't always accurate so we're going to the doctors in concord or charlotte. Just to make sure
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2014, 01:57 PM
    Given that you came to them later than the norm in pregnancy for a first visit, and that you are only 13, I'm surprised that they didn't do an ultrasound at the time.
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Most 13 year olds don't have regular periods. It can take years for periods to be regular.

Were you regular before you had sex? When did you first get your period (your age)?

I'm also shocked that they didn't do an ultrasound when you went to the doctor. You're 13, you haven't had a period in over 4 months at this point. Did they do anything during this doctors visit other than to confirm that you're pregnant? At 13 this is a higher risk pregnancy than it would be for a grown woman. I'm shocked that they're not monitoring you closer.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2014, 04:53 PM
    >>>>>>But the doctors here aren't always accurate so we're going to the doctors in concord or charlotte. Just to make sure

If they didn't do an ultrasound, they would have had to use your last known period to calculate an estimated due date. The doctors in Concord or Charlotte won't be able to determine it more accurately without an ultrasound either. Did you go to an obstetrician or your family doctor? Is there a particular reason why you think that the doctors in Albemarle aren't always accurate? What sort of referral did you get?
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 05:41 PM
    When is your appointment for the doctor in Concord or Charlotte? Are you at least on prenatal vitamins? Are you going to see an OBGYN in Concord or Charlotte?

My family doctor took care of both of my pregnancies until I was at 6 months gestation, then I was referred to an OBGYN. My family doctor sent me to ultrasounds, the test for gestational diabetes, he was the one that used the doppler so I could hear my babies heart beat at 12 week. The only reason I needed an OBGYN was because my family doctor had no ties to any hospital, and therefore couldn't deliver my baby, even though he used to be an OBGYN.

Very different in the US I know, but your family doctor should still be able to request an ultrasound at the very least. You don't even need a doctor for prenatal vitamins. Are you at least taking prenatals?

I'd like to know how you reached the conclusion that the doctors were you are, aren't always accurate. What do you mean by that?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 15, 2014, 09:28 PM
    A first time visit to the doctor isn't generally going to end up having an ultrasound at the appointment. For one thing, they don't usually have the equipment. I had an ultrasound every month of my pregnancy, and it was ALWAYS at a radiologist's office until I was referred to a high risk group my last 6 weeks--they had the equipment, and I had an ultrasound every week after that because of the risks. I'm not shocked at all that all they probably DID do is confirm a pregnancy and refer her to someone else.

Give the poor girl a break. She may well have gone to her PEDIATRICIAN for this initial appointment, and most 13 year olds don't even HAVE an OB/GYN---I didn't have one regularly until my late 20s. Before that, I either saw my family doctor or went to Planned Parenthood (yay for medical costs in this country!).

I am betting the doctor referred her to a high risk doctor or group of doctors in Concord, and that that group has the equipment to help her better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tell my mom I'm pregnant? [ 12 Answers ]

So I took a test yesterday and it was positive. I've already made my first appointment and scan. I haven't told my mom yet and she wants us to go out drinking at the weekend. She will be very disappointed in me as my younger sister is about 6 and a half months pregnant and she says she wants me to...

16 and too young to be a mom! Am I pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

Help! I am 16 and i had sex a week after my period ended and now it has only been 5 days since i had sex and i am soo scared i may be pregnant! Please what are my chances of being pregnant!? :confused:

16 and too young to be a mom! Am I pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! i AM 16 AND I HAD SEX A WEEK AFTER MY PERIOD ENDED AND NOW IT HAS ONLY BEEN 5 DAYS SINCE I HAD SEX AND I AM SOO SCARED I MAY BE PREGNANT!! PLEASE WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF BEING PREGNANT!??? :confused:

I'm 6 mounths Pregnant At 16! How do I Tell My Mom? [ 36 Answers ]

I am only sixteen and now six months pregnant, I haven't gone to the doctors yet because I can't tell my mother that I am. My mother has always been very strict with me and I am afraid of what she might do,I have tried so many times to tell her but I get afraid every time. My Mother has not noticed...

How should I tell my mom I am 3months pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

Things have not been the same since I went to doctor jan 18 and I found out that I was 3months pregnant. Last year in 2005 or 2006 of December I had a abortion and I regrent it. I was only 17 then and my mother made me she said all different types of things such as I am to young and I do not have...

View more questions Search