Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John1492 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2014, 07:21 PM
    Electric generation
    If I have an electrical AC generator producing 5000 watts at 220 volts but I only consume 3000 watts of power, what happens to the remaining 2000 watts?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2014, 07:27 PM
    Nothing, it is just potential energy, not used until needed. The 5000 is Maximum output that can be produced through the generating system. Like in your house, you have a 200 AMP box but may be drawing only 150, the other 50 is potential(available) energy. Good question, though, as electrical use is often misunderstood.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2014, 07:37 PM
    Another way to look at it... your car might be able to go 150 mph... but you are driving on a road that's got a 55 mph limit, You aren't driving around with your right foot to the floor, and your left foot on the brake to slow it down all at once. You are only using what you need to go 55.

You use what you need... but if the need ever arrose to go 150 mph... (like if you lived in Germany)... its there, you just aren't using it until you need it. It really didn't go anywhere..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 18, 2014, 07:42 PM
    ma and Smoothy answered your question dead on accurate. Me, I'm wondering if there's more to this question. Is it a homework question? Just my gut telling me there's more to this. But my gut has been known to be wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Entitled Generation [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: I've HEARD that people entering the workforce feel "entitled". I don't know what that means. I don't know what entitlements they expect, or whether it's even true. MY generation didn't expect anything... But, MY generation experienced winners and losers . We didn't CONCEAL them,...

Lead generation [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to start a small janitorial business, one that starts after 5:00 pm. I know that this is a very competitive business. What do you believe is the best method to generate leads?

The NEW sharecropping generation [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: The middle class are turning into the new sharecroppers. They're sharing their crop with predatory lenders. Minimum payments are designed to have them pay FOREVER!! The subprime meltdown is only the beginning. In my view, predatory lenders are WORSE than drug dealers. At least...

View more questions Search