Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbloom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2014, 05:54 PM
    Unpaid debt, changed opended date
    My husband had Lowe's card in which I was 2ndary on. He was badly hurt in an auto accident (not his fault) in March 2008. We paid on everything until Jan 2009. Prior to that we had tried to work with several credit cards and our car loans but without success. The card has been sold off several times. They went to take it to collections with local magistrate in Dec 2012 and lost. They only did it against my husband. It is showing up on both our credit reports and now is out of statute for them to be able to collect upon. They sold it again, then to Calvery and it appears on my credit report with an open date of 2/20/13. Is this legal? I understand items can still appear for 7 years from when stopped paying so that would not be until Dec 2015 but the information is incorrect.
    bbloom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2014, 06:02 PM
    Public Record, Expired action
    We relinquished our vehicle in Feb 2009 (in Pennsylvania), due to being unable to pay for it due to accident a year earlier; resulting in one income for family. It was processed and put against us in local court on our home. It has expired and was not reviewed as required by the lean holder this past March 2014.
    We spoke to attorney we had started with in 2010 as we thought we may have to go bankrupt. He informed us there wasn't anything we had to do since they didn't refile. It is continuing to show on credit report due to public record? Will be on report for 7 years right? Are there other things we should do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2014, 05:02 AM
    How is it listed on the credit reports? As a judgment, outstanding balance or just a repo?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2014, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbloom View Post
    It is showing up on both our credit reports and now is out of statute for them to be able to collect upon.
    First, I wanted to correct this misconception. A debt never expires. The owner of that debt can continue to dun you and attempt collections until the debt is marked paid. If the SOL has expired, it only means they cannot sue and obtain a judgment for collection.

However, if the open date is incorrect, then you contact the credit bureau and dispute the entry. Provide evidence that they are showing the incorrect date.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2014, 08:57 AM
    The open date, needs correction, a letter to both the collection agency, and the credit bureau needs to be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unpaid debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am holding a private mortgage from the sale of some land. The mortgagor has stopped making payments. They have agreed to give back the property if I forgive the balance of the debt plus pay them $1k. Do I have to pay taxes on the unpaid balance of the loan.

Icbc unpaid debt [ 3 Answers ]

I was hit by a drunk driver in 2004 and having no witnesses I was wrongly accused of causing the accident and fined 1000 dollars which I refused to pay as I was wrongly accused. Now the debt has risen with interest to a huge amount. Does the statute of limitations apply to this debt after 8 years?

Debt unpaid [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. I'm from Canada.. I just want to ask if the government could deny me my passport (I need a renewal) due to unpaid debts in the past (I haven't been able to pay them up to now). I don't even know if I already have a judgement to appear in court.. HELP !

Unpaid debt [ 1 Answers ]

I just got summoned by First Resolution Management Corp. for an upaid debt. I have moved since the credit card company has I guess contacted them. I haven't been receiving my mail because it was at my parents house. I called and set up a payment plan with them to get a certain amount taken out of...

View more questions Search