Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StupidDecision Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2014, 01:58 PM
    Thc hair test --- please help
    Hello all, I know that this has been a question asked very often on this site, but my particular situation has me freaking out.

I have a job I'm in love with but apparently a hair test is performed. It is currently the 17th of September and my test will probably be the 23rd. On August 1st I took probably two hits off a blunt at a birthday party. Super dumb. I know. But then on August 7th I split two small joints with some buddies, took some hits. This is the only time in my life I have smoked marijuana other than some time two years ago, and I'm scared.

Right after the second time (August 7th) I went to the beach for two weeks, essentially abusing my hair in sun and ocean water nearly every day. I use a little bit of hair product every day. And take a shower every day and sweat a lot. I am a 19year old, 5'10", 190 pound guy. I get relatively frequent haircuts since my hair grows fast, so one more haircut before the test and I'm sure I won't have too much of the "tainted" hair left. I'm just scared. I've heard that THC (apparently THC-COOH is what's tested for) doesn't bond well to the melanin in hair, and thus the test is surprisingly inefficient in catching infrequent users of marijuana. Considering I am the definition of an infrequent user, should I be worried? As much as I'd love to cut the hair on my head short and call it a day, I'm scared that they'll go for my arm hair.

So other than "Am I safe as is, being an infrequent user?",

I need to also ask: does THC show up as easily in body hair as it does in head hair?

Thanks so much for reading and hopefully my nerves can be calmed.

DrBill100 has calmed my nerves in some of his other posts, hopefully someone can do the same for my specific situation :) .
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 17, 2014, 02:20 PM
    Dr Bill isn't here any more.

Hair follicle tests are meant to test for habitual use. Two or three times won't show up.

When you do many drugs, illicit or otherwise, it gets into your blood stream and to the follicle that is growing. Tiny amounts of the compounds or their metabolites are deposited into core of the hair. Abusing your hair won't change it's composition. A sample is taken, representing about 90 days worth, ground up and tests are done for the different drugs or their metabolites. The levels for pass and fail are put at a point that using it once or twice won't be a fail, but use it ever few days and it will.

I don't think, as long as you're not a habitual user, you have anythign to worry about.

Sep 17, 2014, 02:22 PM
    Thank you very much. Do you think I should even bother cutting my hair once more? I really appreciate the answer by the way, that was QUICK!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 17, 2014, 02:24 PM
    If you cut it right before the test, they will just go for body hair as it will look like you are attempting to hide something.

Sep 17, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    If you cut it right before the test, they will just go for body hair as it will look like you are attempting to hide something.
    Thank you, that's what I figured! I have several days before the test, though. But generally speaking, will body hair be easier or more difficult to obtain a deposit of THC products? Or the same. Thanks so much.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 17, 2014, 03:02 PM
    You are worried about nothing...if, in fact, you were honest with what you told us in your first post. If you only did it those few times, then you should pass. Stop worrying.

Sep 17, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    You are worried about nothing...if, in fact, you were honest with what you told us in your first post. If you only did it those few times, then you should pass. Stop worrying.
    Okay. You guys kick butt. I have nothing to lie about here. Thank you.

"Goodbye everyone, I'll remember you all in therapy!" -Plankton

/thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Test - THC [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "Dream Job" offer... Smoked at my little brother's graduation. 3 hits from a blunt... I have a hair test coming up... I want the truth, not feedback that gives me false hope...

Hair test and THC [ 1 Answers ]

I am really worried because this semester I applied for my clinicals at UWM. I need to take a hair test for it and I never smoke pot, however this last weekend I was at my friends house where a group of guys (5 or so) were smoking out of a bong. I am worried that this will show up in my hair. We...

View more questions Search