Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackrussel1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2014, 07:47 PM
    Battery replacement/subsitute
    Can I use a motorcycle 12volt battery in place of a 12volt electric scooter battery and how or why not. I never thought to ask.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2014, 12:14 AM
    No, while, it would operate for a short period. Scooter and electric bike batteries are a deep cell battery, make to operate for longer periods.

So your battery may power a scooter for 30 minutes to a hour, it will not allow it to operate for hours.

A trolling motor battery would work, since they are deep cell
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2014, 04:47 AM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck, though the correct term is "deep cycle" battery. These are batteries that are specifically designed for applications where the battery provides energy for long periods of time, discharging almost completely before being recharged. Regular car or motorcycle batteries are different - they are designed to provide high current to run the starter motor for perhaps a few seconds, then recharge once the engine has started. So the motorcycle battery will work for some period of time, but after a few cycles of extended use and recharging you will probably find that it loses its ability to fully recharge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2014, 05:05 AM
    Sorry for the wrong word. I had not done this for a while. There is also, a very obvious difference. ( or at least 8 or 9 years ago) time does fly. Between brands, our office changed to a cheaper import and we had about a 10 percent failure rate and the batteries lasted less time. So, stay with better grade batteries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Power conversion help! Battery replacement [ 3 Answers ]

Scenario: I recently acquired a small, indoor R/C Helicopter that requires 6 AA batteries to operate the controller. There's also a small 3.7v receptacle that extends from the controller to charge the helicopter. Problem: As you can imagine, flying a few minutes or even a few hours with this...

Battery replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the battery on my sears craftsman riding mower. I made the mistake of connecting poistive to negative and negative to poistive. I switched the connection and now it does not turn over. What do I need to do to fix my situation?

RTH7600 battery replacement [ 2 Answers ]

My thermostat says lo batt--how do I get off the wall to do so? R. Byrne

Battery replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 97 infinity that I replaced the battery and know my key will not unlock. What do I do?

Replacement battery pack [ 5 Answers ]

Please can you advise me what I need to solve this problem: I have a Racal Dust filter mask I use in my woodturning. It is a simple motor in a mask that blows a stream of fresh air through a filter. The product is no longer made but is still very serviceable but the rechargeable battery pack needs...

View more questions Search