Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doomguts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2014, 08:44 AM
    Radiator help
    Good afternoon! I searched all over the internet for help but couldn't find simple answer a to my seemingly simple questions so I hope someone can help me out here!

I just need to know how to turn off my radiator because its sweltering. My landlord ignores me so there's no help there. I live in an old building where I can't control the heating. The thermostat is in a locked box in my hallway and the landlord just turned the building's heat back on for the season. My bachelor apartment has 2 radiators. The largest radiator has the bleed valve on the top left and the turnable knob on the bottom right. Which is great- I turned that know clockwise which I assume is off. Just did that 15 minutes ago so I'll see if it worked in a few hours.

As for my bathroom radiator. Above that is the window that I always have open which makes no difference because I'm sweating as soon as I get in there are it's a beautiful September day. My bathroom radiator only has the bleed valve, with the pin missing but I have a wrench so I can manipulate it if need be. But it posses no knob to turn up or down the heat.

1- Does that 1 radiator in the main part of my apartment control both radiators? Is that possible?
    2- if one knob doesn't control both, then how do I turn off my bathroom radiator?

Here's a picture of my bathroom radiator: imgur: the simple image sharer

Thank you for reading! And I'm sorry if this question is so basic. I'm good at finding answers online myself but when it comes to HVAC stuff I'm overwhelmed cause of the vast amount of unknown terminology.

Lee-Anne
    bitters Posts: 348, Reputation: 12

Sep 13, 2014, 11:42 AM
    Yea I don't see a valve on the bath room rad either. It's probably below the floor. I doubt that one valve controls both. See if you can get the landlord to install a thermostatic control valve. Which is what he should have on both rads.
    doomguts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2014, 09:03 AM
    Yeah I didn't think one valve would control both. And I highly doubt he would do anything for me (Took them 3 weeks to finally come in and clean my moldy fridge where I first moved in. :-/ ) . I was thinking I could figure it out alone but if the valve is not visible then I guess I can't! Thanks for your info!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Radiator [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new radiator fitted in kitchen, But now my down stairs radiators do not work (They are not even getting warm) Plumber said the pump is not strong enough and this would need to be changed BUT the radiators worked before he changed kitchen radiator. Any other idea what it could be apart from...

Permanently removing a radiator; can I cap off flow and return feeds to radiator? [ 4 Answers ]

I am permanently removing a radiator and want to know if I can just cap off the flow and return feeds to the radiator or do I need to connect the two together to continue the flow of the system. I believe it's the last radiator in the system to warm up. There is just one 10mm microbore pipe...

Oil in radiator/ radiator is crack [ 3 Answers ]

My radiator has a crack on the side so we been putting in water but now it looks like there is some kind oil and gook in the radiator. Can any one try to help me with his problem

Radiator problem [ 7 Answers ]

Good Evening... interesting one here... for me anyway... My wife went out with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra yesterday afternoon and on her way home she heard a loud bang and smoke or steam started coming out of the engine compartment. She immediately pulled over fearing the worst, and got towed to...

Radiator fans [ 8 Answers ]

I just replaced my radiator, and the 2 fans in my car won't come on when the engine heats up, only when I put the A/C then the fans comes on. Isn't the fan suppose to come on when the engine heats up? How long does my car have to be on before the engine is heated enough for the fans to come on.

View more questions Search