Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sun13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2014, 11:40 AM
    Produce electricity by a generator
    Hello
    Can I get a help for the following problem
    In fact, I am doing a prototype of a speed breaker system on a road to produce electricity. I'm using Rack and Pinion mechanism but as the rack gear is moving up and down (as being pressed by the vehicles), I am confused which type of generator to be used (AC or DC). The shaft will be rotating in clockwise and anticlockwise direction.

Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2014, 12:15 PM
    Those exist in both types... its all about what you plan on doing and how you plan to achieve it.
    sun13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2014, 08:01 AM
    Thank you.

In fact I want to use both the downwards and upwards motion of the rack gear (reciprocative motion) to produce electrical energy from the mechanical set up.

Set up:

1. Reciprocative motion of Rack converted to rotary motion by the Pinion gear (both meshed together).

2. The shaft of the pinion also contain the larger diameter pulley, where the latter rotates in the same direction.

3. Ultimately, a belt connecting the larger pulley to a smaller one is used.

4. The shaft of the smaller pulley will rotate with relatively higher speed. This shaft also contain a flywheel, help to reduce fluctuations and gain momentum.

5. Finally a spur gear is used to obtain more higher speed in order to rotate the rotor of the generator, hence produce an approximate 12V to charge a battery.

I want both direction f the rack (up and down) to be taken into consideration in order to produce the desired charge.

So problems are that:

As the shafts will rotate both clockwise and anticlockwise, the flywheel will reduce the momentum instead of maximise it, hence will reduce the speed to rotate the rotor of the generator. So, shall I eliminate the flywheel or is there a possibility to add another device?
    Also,Dc generator will be appropriate or Ac Generator?

Please I need a help.
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to produce electricity from sound? [ 1 Answers ]

Heavy machines produce high frequency of sound how to convert it into energy.

Quiz: Can trees produce electricity? [ 5 Answers ]

Can trees produce electricity?

Energy generator which can be used to genarate electricity [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get the fund for building a prototype for my invention? Tickle or what so ever his name is, he is a head He told me that such motor exist Well I know what I am doing This motor run only with the power of magnets only. But no...

View more questions Search