Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Bats in the house - what can I do?
    Hello All. Well, bat season is approaching and I need some ideas. Last summer bats got in our house. I live in an old century victorian in the country. At around 7 in the evening - bats swarm outside. It is kind of neat to watch and the bugs are almost gone when the bats are done.
    The problem is this - we had 3 bats get in the house last year. The fist 2 were found after we put our 6 year old to bed and about 2 minutes later she was SCREAMING - my husband ran in and a bat was flying around her ceiling. I started to run upstairs and there was one laying on the floor of our stairs. Needless to say she and I were Freaked out!
    My husband got them out, but she was still afraid. Then a couple of nights later, she and I were watching TV and I see this thing out of the corner of my eye - it was a HUGE bat flying around our great room. I got her out of the house - but my husband wasn't home and didn't know what to do. We finally got a neighbor over to get it out. All the while, our dog just sat there like "what? is there something going on?"
    Now, my daughter is getting afraid again that a bat is going to come in again. She is scared to death (rightfully so) and can't go anywhere in the house alone.

How do we safe guard the house against them? We have no idea how they are getting in! Since it is an old house - they could be coming from anywhere.
    Any suggestions?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Have you checked your attic space? Bats like to roost in dark areas that are convenient for coming and going as it gets dark and a common entry/exit location is a gap in the flashing around a chimney or a hole in a roof vent. It would be very unusual for bats that are feeding to "accidently" fly inside a house through a door or window. Maybe that would happen every now and then but not often (like lightening striking more than once in the same spot... I think).

There may be a colony living in the attic and one or two confused bats had found their way into the house. If you find bats in your attic (or basement, for that matter)... go outside at dusk and wait to see where they are exiting the house. After there has been a period of about 20-30 minutes after the last bat has been seen leaving, inspect the location. If you find a hole (and depending on the species and size of the critters, it could be a pretty small or even flat location... that you would never imagine as being big enough because... after all... they ARE rodents and if they can get their head through a hole... the body will fit).

After you find the access point, go inside and inspect the space that they are inhabiting. Try to flush any remaining bats out of the house through the hole and seal it with hardware cloth (metal mesh). Carefully inspect the exterior of the house to determine that there are no other openings that they can use (when they get back from feeding they will try very hard to get back in). When they are not able to return to their normal roost, they'll re-locate. If you have any other structures on your property that might be an alternative for their housing needs... it'll be the first place they go.

Good luck... and remember... without them we would be "knee-deep" in bugs!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Hi Nowwhat! I just noticed this thread. I live in the middle of the woods and deal with those little flying rats all the time. Unlike your dog, mine chases them around the house when they manage to find their way in. Always freaks me out.

Kstar posted a great response. However, something tells me you don't want to be the one actively searching. :p FYI, bats can get through holes the size of a nickel.

There are pest control companies that will come in and do what Kstar is suggesting. They will come in and seal up the holes or gaps from the inside.

I don't know where in Ohio you live but you may want to contact the state Wildlife bureau. They would be a good place to start and can advise you as to what companies in your area are reliable and will deal with the bats humanely.
    Ohio Wildlife Center - Humane Wildlife Solutions

The other thing that works quite well is to set up a few bat houses on the perimeter of your property. This way they have alternate places to hang out and as their babies are born they will be trained to go back to the bat house as their roost.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 02:44 PM
    We live next to a church that the bats live in. They fly out, feed and then go back. So, the house idea - I don't know if it will work. You should see the sky when they are out. There are SO MANY!! I have to go inside - even though it is neat to watch the nature show. (I'll do it from the window)
    We haven't heard them in our attic and I don't think they live in our house.
    It is just so un-nerving having them in the house. The last one that got in, like I said, was HUGE and when it was released - he looked like he was out for revenge. He kept swooping down at our heads. We would have gone back in the house - but the guys were inside doing an inspection for more. (we sat in the car after that)
    I just wish that, one, I knew how they were getting in. I can see them coming in the attic - but then how do they get in the house part? 2 - I wish I didn't get freaked out (an then freak out my kid) when I see them and could just catch them and get them out.

And my dog - the big guy didn't even notice this huge rat flying over his head! I am sure if he did - he would have chased that thing. He is now chasing the birds outside, so maybe this year he will get a clue.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
    LOL, maybe your dog will get a clue. The last time a bat got inside, it didn't become active until 2 in the morning. I couldn't figure out why the dog was running around the house like a lunatic until I saw the darned thing. I called in state wildlife because I couldn't catch it. Thankfully, one of the guys from the dept lives down the road.

The bat houses would be in addition to closing any gaps. They are not that large and sit on a pole. You could actually paint them with your daughter and make them into a fun project for her. It would be a good way to talk to her about not being afraid of nature,. But, if you have other possible "home" alternatives for them, like the church, and there isn't any way to put up a couple of the houses, then don't do it. You live in a very old house. (By the way, I LOVE, love, love old victorians) Guaranteed there are small gaps somewhere which are allowing them access. The state wildlife people will come out and inspect and advise you at to the best method to humanely keep them out of the main house. I don't think they charge for the inspection. Mine doesn't. Start with them and see what they say. As I said, they might give you a list of companies that are reliable and will seal up all the gaps. Start with the link I gave you and speak to them. Can't hurt. :)
    Xan-Kriegor Posts: 158, Reputation: -2

Mar 12, 2010, 11:58 AM

Take a flashbomb or a stunbomb that you can win/buy from the statefare
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xan-Kriegor View Post
    take a flashbomb or a stunbomb that you can win/buy from the statefare
    Since this question was asked three years ago, I think it's safe to assume they found an answer. Please take note of the date the question was asked in future postings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bats [ 3 Answers ]

How would be the best way to get bats out of attics?

Homeruns in consecutive at bats [ 6 Answers ]

Who has the longest streak for consecutive home runs and how many was it?

How Can I get him out of the house? [ 5 Answers ]

Here's my problem. My husband and I have decided that we are going to get a separation. My husband has moved all of his belongings out of our house.He has not helped me pay any bills in over 4 months, house payment, child expenses, power bill, etc. I had my lawyer draw up separation papers, but...

House bats [ 1 Answers ]

Do housebats in Nebraska migrate in the fall or winter? How do I get rid of them?

View more questions Search