Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jordan Jade Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2014, 04:07 PM
    Wrongly terminated?
    My daughter has been working in the cafeteria in our courthouse for over 2 years with the last year being a bit hostile. Her manager was always saying the owners were going to fire her. When she would ask the owners, she was always told she would not be fired. They would call her at 5 am to come in early because the manager had drank too much the night before and would not be able to open. She only took one week vacation in that time to visit her ailing grandparents. My daughter started having some medical problems about 6 months ago, but never missed one day of work, and often worked overtime without the overtime pay. Two weeks ago, I had to take her to the hospital with a very bad headache. They did a CT scan and found a cyst in her brain. My daughter still returned to work the following day. Two days later she was fired. She never went to work late, she never stole from them and was loved by all the employees at the courthouse. This was totally out of the blue. They told her it was because they could not afford to pay her anymore, but we feel it was because of the problem the Er docs found, and the fact that we found the ad they put out looking for help. Do you think my daughter should look for an attorney?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2014, 04:18 PM
    Yes definitely take legal advice
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 05:49 PM
    ...but we feel it was because of the problem the Er docs found, and the fact that we found the ad they put out looking for help. ...
    And why did she tell them what the doctor found?

You are suggesting that they ran an advertisement looking for someone to replace her and, because you found that ad they decided to replace her? That makes on sense. If they had run the ad, they had already decided to repace her; the fact that you saw the ad could not have prompted their decision to repace her.

Sep 10, 2014, 02:13 AM
    Yes they fired her last week Thursday, and the ad was posted today Sept 9. They claim they fired her because they didn't have money to pay her anymore but they have money to pay a new person?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2014, 04:54 AM
    They are probibly paying the new person even less. Was she part of a Union?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2014, 04:57 AM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. Most US states have very limited wrongful termination laws. In general, employees can be terminated without any reason at any time. The only wrongful terminations are discriminatory. And that's what makes your daughter's case a possibility. If your daughter did tell them about her medical condition and they fired her shortly thereafter. If you can prove the reason they gave her and then show they advertised for a replacement, she might have a case. You will need to consult an attorney to see if there is enough evidence, because this can be very hard to prove.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 06:03 AM
    Document everything, write everything down she remembers with dates and who was there, do not sign anything they give her to sign, until this is settled keep everything related to that job and future jobs.
    I too went through a wrongful dismissal and went to the Human Rights commission (Alberta Canada). I can not comment on how it turned out or anything but will say I wish I would have done the above.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 06:20 AM
    She needs a lawyer.

Sep 10, 2014, 10:10 AM
    We live in Oregon. Everything at work was OK until the hospital visit and then she was fired. What kind of lawyer do we need?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2014, 10:45 AM
    Labor law attorney. But you didn't answer some of our questions.

Oregon is an at will employment statement which means that an employee can be terminated for no reason at all. However, as I said, discrimination can be considered as wrongful. (see Wrongful Termination in Oregon).

Did she tell them about her medical condition? Was she covered by a health insurance policy? What documentation does she have?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 06:24 PM
    The issue will be, you will have to prove, they fired her, because of the medical problem. But even then, this is not a protected disability, so they may be able to.

You do need to visit a labor attorney, to see if there is a case.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 06:36 PM
    If she worked more than 40 hours and was not given overtime pay they have violated the law. Have the attorney file a complaint with FLSA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keys are wrongly typed [ 4 Answers ]

When am typing in excel the charecters are malfunctioned. When I enter-@, its typed as -". Kindly give a suggestion and am checked all the settings in my system. All are OK.

Wrongly charged [ 12 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 10 yrs is stalked my man she works with he is trying to extort money from her she now has a attorny when it all started I called him and told him to stay away I never spoke to him I've never seen him I talked to his phone recording he sent the police here to talk to me and we all...

Wrongly Convicted [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Just over 10 years ago, I was wrongly arrested and charged with assaulting an undercover police officer. Basically, it was a case of mistaken identity and I feared for my life - when they tackled me, I was hysterical and tried to push the person off me. They had nothing to charge me...

I have been wrongly claimed on someone's taxes [ 7 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes and they were rejected by the IRS claiming that someone else claimed my SSN on another return as a dependent. I am 28 and I know there is no way someone can claim me. What should I do?! Thanks for any helpful advice:)

Wrongly accused. [ 3 Answers ]

In school I found a container and I didn't know what it was... then my deans called me down and asked to search me and said the container had cannibis in it and now I'm getting a ticket. I didn't even know what it was. They said it had residue in it. How can I get out of it? Reply asap Thanks

View more questions Search