Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 08:34 PM
    Caulking Shower
    I have shower that the caulking is old and shrunken. It is still somewhat pliable. What is the best way to handle this? I am thinking I should remove the old caulking to re-do it but is that the best way? And if so, how is the easiest way to remove the old to put in the new?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2014, 05:18 AM
    The best way would be to remove the old caulk. Owever, I have had good results by caulking over the old caulk. We use Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk on our installations. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 06:16 AM
    Is there an easy way to remove the old caulk, or should it just peel right out?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2014, 06:42 AM
    I always use a sharp knife to cut the old caulk out but check this out,
    [COLOR=#1020b0]A[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1020b0]Easy Way [/COLOR][FONT=Segoe UI Semibold][COLOR=#1020b0]To Remove Caulk[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#1020b0] | About.com[/COLOR]

About.com/Easy Way To Remove Caulk
    20,800+ followers on Twitter
    Search for Easy Way To Remove Caulk. Find Expert Advice on About.com.
    Entomology Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 06:52 AM
    Thanks for the help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Hi Odinn7

Have you done the job yet? If not, I have done tons of these jobs and would be glad to offer up some of my experience to give you the best result. Just let me know, OK?

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2014, 06:22 PM
    A sharp 1/2" wood chisel is the ideal tool for removing old caulk. If you want to do it the lazy man way, stop by Harbor Freight and pick up one of their multi-function tools $20.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 07:00 AM
    Remove old caulking. All of it. Clean the walls and tub - where new caulk will be applied - very well. Take denaturated alcohol, put it in spray bottle, and spray over the same area. Rub the area with clean cloth until all "dirt" is gone. . Repeat twice, three time to assure you have clean surface to work with.

How well you clean the surface before application determines how well new caulk will stick to the surface.

You have 2 types of caulks: Latex based ( water clean up ) and Silicone based ( mineral spirits clean up ). Latex is easy to work with as you have couple of minutes to work with it after it was applied. With Latex caulk you can do very good job right at the first time.

Silicone requires some previous experience. Once it is applied, you have only a minute or so to smooth it. It dries rather quickly and doesn't clean up as easily as Latex.

Cut off the tip of tube about 1/8" and under 45 degree angle. Apply in single motion, corner to corner. Give it only what it needs. Do not over apply. With latex, have wet piece of cloth ready for clean up. With silicone, use the same desaturated alcohol for clean up as you used for initial surface clean up. We use finger to smooth out new caulk but they actually sell a piece of plastic tool that is used for this purpose.

If you have never worked with caulk, and want to achieve a nice, smooth caulk joint, than I suggest you first practice on piece of wood or drywall before you attempt to do it on the tub.

Hope that helps

Milo
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I have done caulking before so that part I am comfortable with. It was really just an issue with removal of the old caulk.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2014, 09:42 AM
    Let us know how you make out. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 07:40 PM
    Good to know you know how to handle caulking project !

Hope all went well !

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower caulking won't dry? [ 2 Answers ]

On Monday of this week I have used Silicone II caulking on one shower corner wall. It is still tacky to the touch. It is now Wednesday. I noticed the tube expired in 2008. Had the caulking gone bad and therefore causing it the non-drying? Do I need to remove and apply new caulking? If so,...

Caulking around a shower unit [ 2 Answers ]

We are having to redo the caulking around our shower unit on a regular basis. The caulking keeps drying up and coming out. So we were advised to buy GE Silicone II 100% silicone sealant. We applied this 24 hours ago and it will not set up. It still feels wet and we are afraid to shower,...

Caulking for shower floor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a tile shower (tiles walls and tile floor). Where the floor and walls intersect, there is white caulking that had become mildewed. I need to replace the caulking, but want to be sure I use the correct caulk, the best product for a shower floor.

Caulking glass shower [ 3 Answers ]

My builder installed a frameless glass shower a 15 months ago. The glass goes up to the ceiling because the shower is also equipped with a steam generator. We have glass on two sides and limestone on two sides. The silicon caulking that attaches the glass to the limestone At the floor of the...

View more questions Search