Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2014, 03:10 PM
    Problems with recently bought second hand car
    Im not sure if this should be under a law category, but thought that people viewing this under the car and trucks category might have some experience with this.

Im from the UK, About 3 months and a week ago I bought a car (05 black Vauxhall Astra, 99k miles) from the garage down the road from me after my previous one's clutch started making aweful noises and it seemed as though it needed a new clutch (quoted about £400 which was more than the car was worth) so when I found my current car I asked if they would be able to take previous car off me and knock the price down a bit, that done I bought my current car and set off on my merry way, a month or so later the battery died, so took it back to the garage and they replaced it, was also having ignition troubles as the key wasn't always turning the barrel so they replaced that as well and once again I set off.

Now a little over 3 months down the line, I've come across another problem, its only happened twice so far, but when I've stopped (1st was at a set of traffic lights) my foot presing the clutch down and my other foot holding the brake, I noticed the car was trying to move forward and the only thing stopping it was the brake. (it didn't sound as though the revs were building but sounded like the clutch was trying to move the car and couldn't because the brake was on), so I turned off the ignition and had to struggle getting it out of gear before setting off again.

It seems to be fine if as soon as I stop I shift to neutral (again it has only happened twice so I'm not sure how to effectivly recreate it) whenever I need to stop, but I know this shouldn't be happening and I want to take it back to the garage.

I was told there was a three month warranty and as it's a little over 3 months I'm worried that il be stuck with the bill for a new clutch again which judging by the last quote could be quarter of what I paid for the car.

I've done a bit of searching and found this:
    Returning a car - Buying advice - Auto Trader UK - Auto Trader UK - buying

Which says 'You can ask for a repair or replacement up to six months after purchase'

Id like to know what my options are at this point really as it sounds like if they want to charge me for the fix I'm going to be stuck with an unsafe car until I either pay it or go through a small claims court (which I'm unfamiliar with doing and to be honest worries me alot).

I haven't spoken to the garage yet as the article says to do (il be doing that tomorrow), but I would like to be prepared for what could be the worst.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 7, 2014, 03:35 PM
    I don't know the legality of this in the Uk and I'm not even going to pretend to. I am just going to point out that it sounds like you have a hydraulic clutch and either the master or the slave cylinder is bleeding down when this happens.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2014, 04:11 PM
    It could be something as simple as adjusting the clutch pedal height, where you loosen the jamb nut, rotate the pushrod to increase pedal height, and retighten the jamb nut.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Update:

So I went to the garage and described the problem as I have here and he said it sounded like the slave cylinder was bleeding, he couldn't book me in to have a look this week though so he's going to have a look on Monday,

On the financial side he said since its just out of the warranty period id have to contribute if it needed a new clutch, about 60 or 70 quid which is a lot better than the £400 bill I was fearing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently Divorced and Bought a Home - filing tax return [ 3 Answers ]

This may seem like a silly question, but I just want to ask for some advice. My divorce was finalized in mid-December of 2012 - so I know that I should be filing my returns using a "single" status since the divorce was finalized prior to 12/31. I also purchased a home about a week after the...

Hi there I am trying to identify an old print I bought recently. Is is signed Folland [ 2 Answers ]

It shows an old English village in the snow. There is a church with a pointed spire. Thanks

Hey, I recently bought a 98 Honda civic ex, and I'm having starting problems [ 2 Answers ]

Once I bought my car I gave it a major tune up. But recently when I drive it for a while during the day it gives me a weak start up, and a couple weeks ago it didn't turn on at all. It wasn't the battery or alternator, I even changed the main relay on it and nothing. Im getting the same problem,...

If I just bought a brand new car and there are problems can I ask for another one? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought brand new Nissan In August. It was perfect.. nothing wrong with it. Now its 3 months later, I just took it back to Nissan for its first oil change. They did a break upgrade as well. After that, well its making all sorts of funny noises. It is not driving as smooth as before and it...

View more questions Search