Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdkid75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Cats not getting along
    I have just got a large male rescue cat, and for the past 4 weeks, my existing cat has hidden in her bed, not interested at all in food or getting any cuddles from us. I am worried they won't get on ever. I could separate their food as I did when he first moved in, but the rescue cat just goes ahead and eats the others ones food. I have 2 litter trays also, but the rescue cat goes in either one. Is there anything I can do?

I've been given Feliway spray from the vets, but I'm not completely sure on how to use it for this problem.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards
    JDKid
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Clearly your cat is mad at you for bringing a "strange" cat into "his/her" terriroty.

Your cat's behaviour is natural, and nothing to be alarmed at. The rescue cat has probably learned how to be aggressive, while your first cat maybe unsure how to assert itself back into the house.

You'll need to give them time. I'm talking a year or more, before your first cat trusts you again and everything is "back to normal".

Until then, keep visiting and talking to your first cat. Bring treats and soft words. Eventually it will come out and start to claim space in the house.

Let them work out their pecking order, but break up any fights.

And do put out two food dishes, two water dishes, two litter pans - They may eventually not care, but at least starting this way they can see there is no shortage of food and water.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
    All of the above is right-o. The feliway spray has pheromones to make kitties calm. Better yet is the Feliway plug-in that you could put around the cat's area. It is frustrating but like cheese said, it'll all work out!
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Have you tried separating the cats? I know this is not ideal but this worked wonders when I bought my second kitten. The older cat was seriously un happy. She actually turned her back to us when we went near her. I put the kitten in one part of the house and the older cat in the other. I fed them seperatly and gave them separate trays but kept the older cat out of the kittens room. They could hear each other but could not see each other. After a few days I let them see each other, but not touch, just for short periods, making sure to give both cats treats at the same time. Then we tried letting them in the same room supervised for short times, slowly increasing the time. Again giving them treats. A website I looked at suggested putting a cot on either side of a door with two toys tied to a piece of string which went under the door. As one cat pulls the toy the other feels it and they begin to play. Eventually the cats were dying to meet each other when they saw toys or treats so they were OK ish and then eventually they were fine, but it did take time.
    Hope this helps, let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 cats [ 6 Answers ]

I've got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in June. Both are female. The mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet they've always got along, till now. I just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out...

How many cats do you have? [ 8 Answers ]

We were planning on having 2 kittens but we might go with 3. Is 3 too many? Right now it would just be me, my husband and the cats but we are going to have a baby sometime in the next year too.All the kitties would be inside. What is your experience with numbers of pets? Thanks!

Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I will be bringing home a six week old boxer puppy soon and I already have a 1yr old cat. He is very active and aggressive how can I integrate them with out him hurting the puppy?:o

Too many cats? [ 8 Answers ]

My significant other moved into my place with me last year. I already had 5 cats. They are all cats I found on the street and adopted. Hey, I was single! When he moved in, he had a cat of his own plus his step-mom gave us another cat last year. So now we have 7. We do not plan on taking in...

Cats behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

How can be stopped cat to pooh in the garden?

View more questions Search